𝐎𝐍𝐄𝐒𝐇𝐎𝐓 𝐢. 𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘷𝘪𝘦

𝐎𝐍𝐄𝐒𝐇𝐎𝐓 𝐎𝐍𝐄  - stevie

━━━━━━━

 𝐒𝐂𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐄𝐓 𝐇𝐀𝐃 𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐄 to the conclusion rather swiftly that Steve Harrington wanted to kill her.

 Okay, so maybe that was a little melodramatic; but straggling through the woods with a boy she'd only met a few weeks ago whilst getting absolutely molly whopped by branches and leaves that trailed through the air like gross and boney fingers — as if she didn't already have enough bruises on her poor body, to begin with — was a little weird.

 Steve was a couple of paces ahead, vaulting over a rock, hand dating out to catch a stray branch as though it was second nature to him — muscle memory... all while Scarlet huffed and puffed as her shoes became muddier and muddier with each heavy step through sloshing mud.

 She tightened her arms around her, tucking Hopper's old flannel around her middle, "Seriously, Steve, where are you taking me?"

 He didn't even turn to face her, "You'll see."

 "Yeah, if one of these branches —" Her arm snapped out, snatching up a twig that would have struck her right in the eyeball. She glared at it, as though that would make it retreat... it didn't, "— Doesn't poke my eyes out first."

 Steve chuckled to himself, knowing that behind him, Scarlet had likely narrowed her eyes at the sound. They'd been at it for twenty-five minutes already; trudging through wilted grass, shoes fracturing branches beneath their feet, rocks making them stumble and mud making them slip and slide as they wandered.

 Scarlet had gotten used to the outdoors; living with Kali and having no home to turn to for so very long had made the girls survivors... but perhaps living those few weeks inside a warm and safe cabin with her new family had made her soft. Maybe she had never really been built for the outdoors.

 She swatted a bug, "I'll only enjoy this trip if we get to see a cow."

 "A —" Steve Harrington snorted, ultimately turning to face her. His hands had been crammed into his pockets as he stood even taller upon a rock, craning his head and watching with a slight grin as Scarlet took a careful step over a puddle of sloppy mud, "— A cow?"

 Dimples appeared on her cheeks, "Yeah, they're cute."

 "Oh, I see. I'm not enough to make this trip enjoyable... But a cow is."

 "You catch on so quickly."

 This always happened between the two of them; the light bickering. There was never any real harm involved, no words with harshness were really truthful. Steve could call her a drama queen and she could call him an idiot; it was never real.