PREFACE The Box of her Memories

"Ladies and gentlemen, she's won yet another race! This girl is on fire!" The announcer yelled.

The car pulled to a stop at her team's pit stop.

"Momma! Momma!" A little girl yelled.

The little girl's mother ran in quickly. "What's wrong?"

"You're a racer."

The mother stood, froze in place, staring at the TV.

"Her last race, and Miss Queen of the Roads came out on top!" The announcer said.

"Where did you find this?" The mother asked, taking the tape out of the VCR.

"In a box...in the attic."

"You know I don't like you up there."

"I was board."

"Read a book, draw, watch TV, color, anything, just stay out of the attic."

The daughter pouted. "Momma..."

"Stay-out-of-the-attic."

With that, the mother put the tape back in the box on the verge of tears. She missed it all. The races. The speed. Everything. She missed all her friends-more like her family than her friends.

She wouldn't do anything about it though. She had left, left to have a normal life. To find her sister and brother, to try to pretend nothing had happened in her life. Her daughter was the reason.

...But she was missing it...and couldn't do a thing about it.

In the box, were her memories. Pictures and tapes filled the box. Pictures that still made her cry if she looked at them. Tapes that made her long to go back to her old life. A fast life, filled with cars and races.

That life was over now. She wouldn't go back. No matter how much she longed and wanted to.

Ever.