"Shut it, Sammy." Dean snapped,  rubbing the scruff on his chin, glancing in the rear-view mirror to make  sure you were still asleep. "She was scared and I was comforting her  and now I'm driving her home, that's all." Your heart sank a little at  that comment and you wished you could actually fall asleep so you  wouldn't have to listen to anymore.

"I'm just saying you're  acting like a jealous, protective boyfriend when chances are you'll  probably never see this girl again once we drop her off in Lawrence."  Sam bit his cheek, he knew he was just telling his brother everything he  already knew.

"You don't think I know that, Sammy. Just one time  I'd like to be selfish and actually get close to somebody, like her.  Last night, it was like nothing else mattered, it was just us." Dean  said, glancing between his little brother and the road. "Don't I deserve  to be happy, if only for an hour or two, huh?"

Dean had been in  low spirits lately, just going through the motions and he did deserve to  have something good or someone good, like you. Sam knew he deserved  that for more than a couple of hours too, but he didn't want Dean  getting his hopes up just to get squashed later. He knew the feeling  Dean was describing and how the weight of their life could drag you  down; but he also knew what it was like to lose someone to it too and  he'd be damned if he didn't try to protect his big brother from a pain  as deep as that.

"I know but, Dean, would you really drag her into all of this- this life?" What did that mean? Suddenly, contract work seemed a little shady to you.

"Course  not, but it doesn't mean I can't take her out to dinner." Dean argued,  knowing it was probably for the best if he didn't. It wouldn't end at  one dinner and he knew that. He sighed heavily, Sam reaching over and  squeezing his shoulder reassuringly.

"The apple pie life just isn't in the cards for us, you know that better than anyone, De-"

"I  got it, Sam. Enough, okay." He shushed, watching you stir awake in the  backseat. You really just couldn't listen to them anymore, it made your  heart ache and your head hurt.

"Hey," you yawned, playing it up a bit and stretching out your arms.

"Hiya,  sleepyhead." Dean smiled, locking eyes with you in the rear-view mirror  for a moment. "Sorry, this is taking so long, the storm damaged more  roads than I thought and we've had to detour quite a bit." Nothing that  you didn't already know.

"S'okay, I don't mind." You shrugged.

Despite  everything you'd just heard, you still felt safe with him, even if you  knew he was hiding something and you weren't sure about his feelings for  you. You knew better than to just call him out on it though; the last  time you did that, you wound up on the side of the road in the middle of  a tornado.

You still thought it was a little odd your brother  never doubled back for you that night. Sure, you definitely had your  fair share of arguments, but neither of you were really cruel enough to  dump each other off in the middle of nowhere. Especially since you  wouldn't even rank that fight in your top ten.

You stared out the  side window of Baby, golden fields of wheat and corn whipping by for  the second hour in a row, stretching as far as the eye could see. It was  hypnotizing and you caught yourself almost falling asleep, your head  actually nodding and bumping into the glass. You rubbed your forehead,  glancing over at the guys who looked the other way; thankful they hadn't  heard and your embarrassment went unnoticed.

"We're coming up on  the state line soon, you guys wanna grab some grub in Kansas city?"  Dean asked, glancing back at you, you hummed along with Sam.