Hold Her While You Can

Start from the beginning

I didn't go back to sleep after that. There's still five hours left of our flight, and as much as I should go back to sleep, I couldn't. My heart is way too happy, and quite honestly, I don't think I've ever felt it glow as much before. At one point, Y/N moved a bit to get comfortable. She treated my arm like her own favorite pillow. And when she uttered the word, 'I love you' before she got back to sleep, it sent a wave of stillness, calm waves, making me feel safe and secure.

———

Eventually, Y/N woke up just a few minutes before landing at Venice Marco Polo (VCE) airport. She was a lot more calm during the descent process. I still held her hand because I like the feeling of being able to be the one to protect her for once.

We held each other's hands as we made our way through baggage claim, where we stood waiting for our luggages. I looked around us, and when I noticed a couple of paparazzi taking pictures of us, I began to panic. Y/N noticed my discomfort, and didn't waste any more second before pulling me in a needed embrace.

"It's okay. I'm here." Y/N's tender voice made me feel better. "Just ignore them. I won't let anything bad happen to you. I promise."

I felt her soft lips against forehead, easing my anxiety. I took comfort knowing she's here with me, and I could let myself fall completely without the fear of waking up, and not having her right next to me.

For the next thirty minutes, Y/N offered everything she could in an attempt to make me feel better. Even after we got our things, the paparazzis were persistent as they've ever been. But, Y/N, was there. Holding me together. Fortunately, as soon as we got outside, her mom was already waiting for us.

"Y/N, Lizzie!" She pulled us into a hug. "It's great that you two made it here safely."

"Alright, mom." Y/N chuckled. "Go a little easy on us with the hugging."

"I haven't seen you in forever, my sweet daughter." Her mom explained, squeezing her cheeks, causing her to scrunch her nose. "And Lizzie, I'm genuinely happy to see you doing so well. And must I say, you look absolutely beautiful. Please, tell me my daughter has been treating you nicely."

"Oh, she has been." I smiled at Y/N. "She's such an amazing support system, and there's no one else I would rather have than her."

"Aww, isn't that sweet."

We mouthed 'I love you' to each other before we were separated by her mom, helping us with our luggages. Y/N sat in the front while I sat on the back while her mom drove.

"You two must be hungry." She declared. "I know a good restaurant nearby."

"Sounds good." Y/N nodded. "Where's dad?"

"He got held up at work, but he will be back tomorrow just in time to join us for my birthday dinner celebration."

I admired everything we passed by. The great, greek-like architecture of some of the buildings, and how old they look, but somehow it's still standing after decades that have gone by. Unlike the city of LA, the city of Venice was unlike no other. Everything seemed like it came out of a movie, and the air is naturally a lot nicer and calming, not only to eyes but to everything else in between.

When we arrived at the restaurant, Y/N's mom checked us in, and we were immediately ushered inside. We're led by a woman, around her early forties named Fillar outside a terrace, overlooking the shimmery, emerald clear water. Around were houses, seemingly adjoined to each other, stacked up, like the ones from the movie, Luca.