"Our parents think we're dating." Lisa says quietly and Jennie's own eyebrows furrow together.

"That's what has you so scared?" She asks softly, brushing her fingers through soft hair again.

"No. But we should talk about it." Lisa has this determined look on her face and it's almost cute, but it's mixed in with her fear and Jennie wishes she could figure out why Lisa was so scared of this, of what was between them. She wishes she could make it easier for her.

"Okay." Jennie slips off Lisa's lap, though she immediately misses the closeness. "Does it upset you?"

"No." Lisa shakes her head. "I just didn't realize we..."

"Lisa," Jennie sighs heavily. "It happens all the time, are you really surprised?"

"No." Lisa looks down as her trembling hands tangle together.

Jennie's heart aches for a second, upset that she cannot figure out what's wrong. "I'm ready to talk about it Lisa, if you are. But if not, then you're not and we'll wait... I'll wait."

Lisa sucks in a deep breath and her hands stop trembling only because they grip each other so tightly her knuckles turn white. Jennie almost thinks it was a mistake saying that out loud. But then Lisa's voice is so small when she answers she knows it's other reasons Lisa is so scared. "Sorry."

"Baby," Jennie sighs and climbs back into her lap. "Don't be sorry ever about this." She tips Lisa's chin and Lisa sucks in a deep breath. "It's fine. You have me and I have you and it doesn't matter what label is on that. The only label that matters is that you're my best friend and I'd do absolutely anything for you, do you got that?"

Lisa nods her head. "I love you."

Jennie smiles and brushes her fingertips through each side of Jennie's hair. "And I love you."

***

Christmas, 2021

"So Jennie, I've been doing a lot of thinking." Ji-ah says, starting the conversation Jennie knew was inevitable upon her arrival at her house three days ago. Now they were in Lisa's apartment, the same set up, the same litter of presents and movie list and dinner but instead of the two of them Jennie's mother was here to intrude. Her stocking hung up by the fireplace and extra presents set on the coffee table to be separated.

Jennie and Lisa already agreed to open the rest of their presents after Ji-ah had gone back to Jennie's place after dinner. So a pile sat, one present to each person from each person in the middle of the coffee table, separated from the large pile under Lisa's small Christmas tree.

Jennie is sad she won't get to open the sweater first, as it's normally her favorite one to start with and Lisa knows it. She pushes those thoughts back though as her mother sets her with that gaze that's pretty common when she's about to get a lecture about her dating life. She's only glad she waited until Lisa was distracted with cooking to have it.

"Mom, I'm not interested in any blind dates okay. I'm doing fine on my own."

"Oh I know that honey, I wasn't thinking about blind dates, I was thinking we could continue the conversation you ended at chuseok."

Jennie stared at her mom suspiciously, eyebrow rising up as she scrutinized her mother. "What conversation?"

"The one about Lisa."

Jennie rolled her eyes. "No, we are not continuing that conversation."

"Jennie, you both clearly have feelings for each other. Just look at this Christmas you both do every year?"