⠀⠀⠀𝟎𝟑. love & death

Start from the beginning

⠀⠀⠀Then, Daryl's voice rang in her head. Keep movin'. And so she did. Bianca knew she couldn't just stand by and wallow. Their plan failed, and that was that.

⠀⠀⠀So, the next morning, she dragged Cal out to the front gates, where she worked most days. Her head was racing with ideas, and she needed someone to bounce them off before she exploded.

⠀⠀⠀"So, if we're able to find high-tensile wire, we can re-fortify the fences. The amount of walkers that pile up on them has been stressful on the chain link out there. It'll bust by the end of the year. Maybe sooner. The wiring will take time, but we don't have any way to recreate walls like Woodbury's, which would be ideal. In a few years, when we can spare the people, maybe, but for now, we work with what we can likely find.

⠀⠀⠀"I was also thinking of jingle bells on the poles to attract walkers with the wind or as they hit the gates. It'd call them over and disperse them better, but it won't be loud enough to draw more over. And on top of that..."

⠀⠀⠀Bianca glanced at Cal and noticed him staring. She closed her mouth and furrowed her brow as she noticed. When she looked at him, she could see the softness in his eyes and the goofy grin across her face.

⠀⠀⠀"What?"

⠀⠀⠀"Nothing, just... you're so smart. Have I told you that lately?" Cal asked.

⠀⠀⠀"Not in a while," Bianca said. She looked up thoughtfully, then smirked. She pushed up on her toes so they were nearly eye to eye. "Tell me again."

⠀⠀⠀"You, Bianca Downs, are insanely smart," Cal whispered. He closed the gap between them and paused so their lips brushed against each other. "You are the glue holding this place together. No one would be here without you."

⠀⠀⠀Bianca rolled her eyes as she felt heat rise to her cheeks, but she didn't believe him for a second. "Not true."

⠀⠀⠀"Mm, very true." He smiled, pecking her lips. "Very, very true."

⠀⠀⠀"You're just saying that because you wanna get in my pants," Bianca chastised with a laugh. She tried to pull away, but Cal pulled her back.

⠀⠀⠀"You might be on to something," Cal mused. He started swaying in the wind, his curls brushing against his neck and forehead as he smiled at her. "But I'm also right."

⠀⠀⠀"You keep telling yourself that."

⠀⠀⠀"I will! Because you saved me from that shitty town. You saved so many people, Bianca, and damn, is it hot when you do."

⠀⠀⠀Bianca smiled, but it didn't meet her eyes. She leaned forward before Cal could notice and pulled him in for a deep kiss. His hand wrapped around her neck, fingers knitting into her hair, and he pushed her down for a better angle.

⠀⠀⠀"Hey, lovebirds!" Michonne shouted, breaking the two apart.

⠀⠀⠀Michonne trotted toward the gate with a shit-eating grin as she approached. Bianca felt the annoyance leak from her body at the interruption. Cal only chuckled, and her eyes darted to him as her frown deepened.

⠀⠀⠀"Would you open the gate?" Michonne asked.

⠀⠀⠀"Of course!" Cal called back, waving his hand. He turned to Bianca, furrowing his brow into worry. "Hey, it's alright. We've got the rest of everything together," he whispered, reassuring. His thumb rubbed against her cheek and then kissed the spot.

⠀⠀⠀Cal parted with a sweet smile as he jogged to the gate. Bianca trailed behind with her arms folded over her chest as she watched them. Cal pulled the gate back as his muscled tensed under his white shirt. Bianca stared hungrily, missing him already, wanting him so much more.