chapter seventy-eight, prologue.

6 months later

6 months later...

"I'm coming!" I screamed down to Zoe. "How do I look?" I huffed as I reached the bottom of the stairs.

"Out of breath." She joked. "Kidding, you're absolutely gorgeous. Ten bucks says he'll tell you the same thing."

I opened the door to see Theo stood in his black suit and red tie. "Wow." He paused. "You look gorgeous."

"Pay up." Zoe coughed from behind me.

"Thank you." I ignored her. "You look great, too."
No matter how many times I see Theo in a suit, he always manages to outdo himself. I swear suits were designed just for him.

"Ready to go?"

"Eh, excuse me? Pictures?" Zoe whipped out her phone. "Stand in the doorway, yeah, to the left-"

I shuffled around, trying not to trip over my satin red dress. "Perfect, guys." Zoe smiled. I swear I saw tears in her eyes.

"I got you this-" Theo pulled a black box from his suit pocket. "Corsages aren't really your thing, and you only wear them once so..."

He opened the box to show a charm bracelet. "There's a flower on it, if that counts as a corsage."

"Theo-" I was lost for words. "It's perfect."

He wrapped the silver chain around my wrist and I heard another camera click.
"Zoe-"

"I'm sorry!" She sobbed. "Guys, you're all grown up."

"Stop, please," I begged, tearing up too, "I can't ruin my make-up."

"Oh shut up." She laughed.

"Let the poor kids go." Spencer came into the room, wrapping his arms around Zoe.

"They just look so cute." Zoe's voice cracked as she failed to compose herself, gripping on to Spence's arms that were wrapped around her stomach.

"You look lovely." He agreed. I began to cry-laugh, and watched as the two boys shared a glance of sarcastic eye rolls.

"Don't worry babe- I got this." He cleared his throat, and put on his best 'Zoe' impression. "Have fun, stay safe, send me lots of pics and text me after."

"Top notch." Theo gave him a thumbs up. "Couldn't tell the difference."

"Shut up, you two." Zoe sniffed. "Seriously though, have fun and do text me."

"We will."

I held Theo's arm as he helped me down the front porch steps to his car. "Excited?"

"Nervous." I admit as I sat in his passenger seat.

"Why? You look amazing."

I scoffed with a smile. "Not about my appearance, just about seeing people we've been avoiding for months."