chapter fourty-five, honey.

- Theodore -

- Theodore -

I watched as Mom almost spat out her pasta, and Becca looked at us both with mad eyes.
"What?"

"You clearly don't live here alone, and by the looks of things, a man lives here too."

She nodded, lowering her cutlery. "You're right, I don't live here alone. The place belongs to a friend of mine, and he lives here part time, but I'm normally home alone anyways because he works a lot, in different places."

"Were you not going to tell us?" I asked. I understand if she wants to date but shouldn't we at least know if she's living with someone?

"It's not like that Theodore- I wasn't hiding it, his stuff is all around you."

"Do we get to meet him?" Becca asked eagerly, almost like she was excited.

"I think he might be coming home some time today but only briefly. Your pasta's going cold."

"I'm not hungry."

Today's trip was nothing like I expected. I thought maybe I could come over to a crappy, half empty, three-room apartment and have a cup of coffee with mom and talk to her about sports or movies or whatever. But no, nothing is ever that simple for my family. There's always one or five bombshells dropped every time we get together.

Mom managed to distract Rebecca and change the subject but my mind was still wandering and throbbing. I wanted to call Camila, or just get out of here altogether, but I don't know how long Bec's staying in town for and I only just got here.

"Can I use the restroom?" Rebecca excused herself.

"Sure, first door on the left."
I pushed a few pieces of food around the plate, trying to force myself to eat something.
"Theo, honey? Have you been considering, maybe staying with me sometime?"

I have. I really have. But I don't think she's as lonely as I thought, and I don't fancy living with her mystery boy toy.
"I don't know, Mom."

"Can I at least show you the room?"

"Sure."
I let her guide me down the hall to satisfy her. I don't want to be rude, and frankly I'd love to live with her. But only her.

"It's quiet empty but if you want to stay I can get more things, and you could also bring your own.."

The room was smaller than my current one but spacious due to the emptiness. There was a large double bed with plain black sheets, and a small, white bed side locker. A matching white desk was parallel to the bed, with a tall, slim wardrobe to match.

I stepped into the room, looking around better before I noticed what was on the desk.
"I wondered where that went." I chuckled, picking up the photo frame perched on it.

I glanced back at Mom leaning on the doorframe, her eyes glistening with a smile on her face.
I put down the picture as stepped towards her, wrapping my arms around her.
"Thank you, Mom."