Chapter Fourteen

Nikoli couldn't keep his eyes off her ass.

She was here in his garage helping him and Luther with the small modifications to the Mach 1. When they'd picked her up, Luther's eyes just about popped out of his head. Nik had slapped his arm. Hard. But he'd had the same reaction to her shorts and tank top. A flannel shirt was tied around her shorts. She had beautiful legs with just a hint of a tan.

When she climbed into the back seat, Luther had wisely kept his face forward.

Once they'd gotten to the garage, she'd gone into what he called professional mode. She went over the car and did her own checklist. She said it out loud, and they both realized it must be the same checklist her father used when he got ready for a race. It was a damn good one too. Nik would have to remember to write it down later to use.

But she'd blown them away when she pointed out things neither of them had known about the engine. She also knew exactly how to tweak it to make it run faster. Luther had been hanging right beside her most of the day as she explained to him everything she was doing. Luther wasn't just a car junkie; he loved to work on them and find ways to improve them. He majored in engineering, as he wanted to design cars one day. He and Nik had talked about this. Once they made a small fortune in gaming, they'd turn to automobiles and use the profits from the gaming company to finance the auto company.

He'd sent Luther for food, and now he was completely alone with her. She was still buried under the hood, but he was content to watch her ass for a minute or two more.

This was his perfect opportunity to get that kiss he'd missed out on. She was in an environment she was comfortable in, and this was his best chance at easing her into kissing.

"Lily?"

"Hmm?"

"You coming up for air any time soon?"

She raised up and looked at him, frowning. "Is the food here?"

He shook his head.

"Then I'm going back to work."

"Lily?"

"What?" she asked, irritated.

There was this cute little streak of motor oil across her cheek.

"Come here."

She looked to where he was leaning against the lift column. "Why?"

"Must we go through this again? When I say come here, you come here."

"I'm not a dog you can bark commands at, Nikoli."

"Thank fuck you're not a dog. I'd hate to be wanting to kiss a pooch."

"That's gross." She scrunched her nose.

"Lily, do you really want me to come get you?"

"No. I want you to let me finish doing what I was doing."

He sighed and pushed off, going to where she was bending back down. She sat up quickly, backing away. "Don't."

She stopped and eyed him warily.

"Dushka, it's time for another lesson."

"But Luther..."

"Is gone to get food, but he'll be back soon, so why not stop arguing with me?"

Lily wanted to run from the garage, but she forced herself to stay still. Nikoli had this look to him, one that said "danger, danger, run away and hide from it," but another part of her sighed at the thought of what that look could mean. She'd seen it the night he was going to kiss her and they'd been interrupted.