"You're making this harder, Oli––" I grind my teeth before muttering his name, "Oliver."

He doesn't say anything, just stares. I eye him suspiciously. "What are you staring at?"

As if broken from a trance, he coughs out. "It's just... It feels like a lifetime hearing my name from you."

"Unfortunately it is the last time," I smile before shoving the glass at him. "Since you are so hell-bent on having this."

I leave the room and go straight to the living hall. Mom is sitting there by his mother and our fathers are engaged in a conversation.

His mother's eyes fall on me instantly, and they light up like a bulb. "Kate! It has been so long since we've seen you!"

She stands up and hugs me tight. I pat her back in return. "Same here, Lydia."

She detaches herself and takes a long glance at my figure. "You look so thin, Kate. You need to be healthy like before, now that Oliver is back."

I freeze.

Oliver is back. What is the meaning of this?

I squint my eyes at mom but she doesn't meet mine. Reluctantly, I smile at Lydia. "What... do you mean?"

Lydia checks her husband and he makes eye contact with me before standing up. "How are you, honey?"

Honey? Why is everyone reacting as if Oliver and I are still dating?

My heart races and an unpleasant feeling settles in my tummy. "I-I am okay."

"We are sorry you had to go through such things," he apologizes. "It's just... we never thought she..."

"Exactly," Lydia complains and holds mom's arm in a friendly manner. "I couldn't believe Alisha would do such a thing. I mean both of you were so good friends and..."

"Who knows what goes in someone's mind," mom says through her teeth. I know she is trying to hint at something else to his parents.

"Oliver couldn't sleep all night," Lydia sighs. "He is so ashamed."

"Of course, when your family member––"

"Zelda," dad interrupts and joins us. "Kate, how are you feeling right now? Do you want to go to your room?"

I lower my eyes and simply nod.

⁓⁓⁓⁓⁓

"Wait wait wait," Ashlyn pauses laughs. "You mean to say you went to Gloria's house?"

I sigh, fixing the phone on the dressing table while combing my hair into a ponytail. "Gloria is nothing that we imagined, Ash."

"Of course," she sneers. "Gloria is the angel who just accidentally humiliated you in front of the whole school. Accidents happen."

"Ash––"

"Kate?"

I stand up, for the sound didn't come from her but outside my door.

"Who is it?"

I wipe my forehead and whisper. "I will explain everything later. Bye."

I throw the phone on the bed and open the door. Oliver's eyes are on the floor when I spot him against the wall.

"Yes?"

"Um, I just wanted to give this to you." He holds up a blue-wrapped box. "Mom picked this up for you."

Liar, I want to scream at his face. Oliver's mother always ordered online for presents and the house maids for wrapping, and I am sure it's still the same.