10.

"Wake up!" Ozanne's drifting sound called into my ear.

I groggily opened my eyes.

"What is it, Ozanne?" I muttered.

"Up, up! We're going, we're going!" she said with bubbly excitement.

"Wait wha- oh yeah, that," I responded dully.

"Come on, you said you'd be out of Darwyn's hair by sunrise!" she scolded.

"Um, yes," I murmured back, sitting up slowly as my covers slowly slipped off my body. I grabbed the mossy-bark dress from the bedpost, eyeing how my golden gown was still there. Three years of not touching it, thick spiderwebs now swung from its intricately designed threads, and a layer of dust sheeted across the gorgeous, sun-like, radiating beauty.

I gulped. It was always a constant and painful reminder of my old life.

"Adelphia?" Ozanne prompted, her excitement fading a shade.

"Yup." I stood up, forcing a quivering, but energetic voice to acome. "You go change and stuff; princess's command. I'll be down in a sec."

"Sure," she replied, cheerful again, and flounced away.

I changed into my dress for the day and then headed over to the door, but my hand froze, resting on the doorknob, and I gazed back at the room. A thin needle seemed to prick my heart.

My escape from my past life for three years. Three years. My grip tightened on the wood doorknob, and I could sense my knuckles growing white as I clenched it tighter and tighter. I couldn't help thinking if this were the last time I'd ever see it.

But before I could think, I was dashing towards the stand next to the bed, with exquisite carvings in the wood. I grabbed the arrow that Darwyn had gifted me and snatched up the golden bow.

In a second I had docked the arrow into the bow and allowed the arrow to leave and rise free, in a moment it was soaring through the air, landing straight at the heart of the golden gown.

I lowered the bow, slung the quiver of arrows over my shoulder, and quietly walked out of the room.

I didn't look back once.

'''''

Everything after that and until leaving truly was a bit of a blur. We had a handful of honey-glazed nuts for breakfast, Darwyn eating the last of the meat, and quietly, sullenly trained the last little bit with our teacher, and Ozanne's father.

Soon it was time for the good-byes. We stood at the brink of the cottage, hugging Darwyn and trying our best not to cry. The sky was a stormy, grumpy gray and I wondered if this was why everyone was so quiet... sullen... glum. But then I decided no, it wasn't, and it was because we were leaving our home. My true home. The palace... I hadn't missed... that much. But it never was a true home. This was... the first place that really made me think...

My throat tightened and water began to form in my eyes. I felt a cold hand reach over and grab my arm, squeezing it tight- Ozanne, with her well prepared backpack and messy hair... We stood, the two of us stood facing Darwyn, and the wind rapped our backs as we locked eyes, staring.

"Take care," Darwyn squeaked out, in the kind of voice that... if you talk normally the tears would come spilling out, so it was all you could do to talk in a squeaking voice. But the water droplets came out anyway, in a horde of a flood and slipping down his cheeks.

Ozanne lunged forwards and grabbed her father into a tight hug, allowing her tears to freely dribble down her cheeks and fall like raindrops to the ground below. I patiently waited my turn, before stepping forwards to hug my teacher good-bye as well.

The sky let out a low growl of thunder.

"Maybe it's going to rain," Darwyn choked out through his sobs. "Maybe you should stay."

"Father..." Ozanne squeezed his hand, and then let it drop.

I let go of his neck and stepped back as well. "I'll take good care of the bow," I said with a bitter-sweet smile, choking through my tears.

"Good-bye," Darwyn whispered, and took one step backwards. "Good luck..." he sniffled and wiped away another cascade of tears.

"We'll be back," Ozanne whispered.

"With the bow and arrows intact," I smiled melancholily.

Darwyn wiped away a tear, but his smile was broad, and proud. "You've grown," he whispered softly, his voice tight, and he ushered us away with his hands. "Go," he murmured, gazing at the sky, where a single shaft of sunshine had broken through the crowds and was shining on our faces pleasantly now.

"O-okay," Ozanne said, her chin quivering, as tears leaked down from them. It was harder for her, I realized. Darwyn's her father.

Ozanne stepped to the side, motioning for me to go with her, in which I obliged. We headed away, into the woods, and watched as Darwyn stood still, staring at us intently, but quietly.

I lifted my hand into a small wave, which he returned. As did Ozanne.

And then we were bursting into the woods, and away, away, away from the only true home I'd ever known.

Go, before you can't. A thin needle seemed to pinprick my heart harshly, I pressed both hands to it and shuffled forwards faster. Noiselessly, Ozanne also accelerated her speed.

Would I ever come back again?

Then I decided I would: I would because it was the ending of a fairy-tale, and that always would end up in a happily-ever-after.

And so, for the first time, I allowed my gaze to slip away from the dot of the cottage dissolving in the thick blanket of trees, and then was away.

Away.