Chapter 2 Completed

Happy Birthday Silas'Aggelemou!

Dedication to Queenmother/Academy Girl. Not only for her comments on the forum, but also for her amazing work in keeping us connected.

Nathan was heading towards us from one of the offices.  He had a manila file tucked under his arm while he scrolled through something on his phone.  He had changed into all black with a shoulder holster just visible through the opening in his jacket. 

He glanced up at us both, his eyes flicking back and forwards between Silas and I. 

"I'm going out Sang.  I've got a job which will take me away for a few days."  He walked closer and stopped beside, his hand reaching out to touch my elbow as I turned to face him. 

"I've talked to Kota and until more security can be organized for your apartment it's really not safe for you to be there alone.  Someone will stay the night with you tonight again unless you'd prefer to go to someone's house.  I wouldn't go unless I knew that you'd be safe with them."

His words sent a thousand thoughts flying through my head.  My personal safety at home had become an office conversation and they were organizing security?  Someone else was potentially going to see my apartment? At least Nathan had already seen it.  I didn't want anyone else to see how I lived from the memory of Nathan's reaction.  They all had lives and homes to get to at night, they didn't need the worry of me out of work hours. 

"I'll be okay Nathan, I don't go out too late and always triple check all the locks in the apartment.  I even have a phone now,' I added with delight, I finally could use the phone to my advantage.  "I could just ring if I was worried about something."

"Sang," Silas interjected, "Someone needs to stay with you.  It's not safe.  Either you take someone home with you or you're in the safe room."  His eyes lingered on my cheek.  I quickly covered it with my hand.

"This was a freak accident.  You couldn't have known this would happen.  It was just a random bag snatch and a little scuffle."  I looked at Nathan to back me up but one glance told me he was with Silas on this one. 

They kept silent, watching me as I thought over my options.  Would it be better to stay here so no one had to worry about coming to my house?  Then I wouldn't be inconveniencing anyone and nobody would have to see my apartment.  At the same time though, I needed supplies from home to be able to sleep here, and I wasn't sure how I felt about the continual camera surveillance while I slept.  My nightmares often woke me with terror.  I didn't want that showing on the video feed. 

I pushed it all aside, I could think about it this afternoon.  "I'll have a think about it if that's okay?"  I asked Nathan questioningly.  "When will you be back in the office?" 

"Minimum three days, possibly four away so I should be back early next week."  He reached an arm out and casually pulled me to him, pressing his lips to my forehead before letting go.  "Take care Sang, I'll see you next week.  Feel free to call for anything, you've got my number."  He flicked my nose and walked out, leaving me staring after him.  He had kissed me.  Just pressed his lips to my forehead like it was an everyday, casual gesture.  I had been kissed. 

The door shut with a click behind him before I dragged my eyes away to Silas trying to pull my thoughts away from the kiss he had so easily bestowed, "He'll be safe won't he?  He won't be doing anything dangerous?" 

He studied my face before answering slowly, "It's a fairly routine job, no additional force should be required.  He can take care of himself, don't worry about him." 

I nodded my head in response.  I had to believe they knew what they were doing, it was their job after all.  But seeing them go out on jobs where force or a gun may be required made me feel nervous for them. 

He picked up his bag he had dropped and heading towards the bathrooms. 

"Don't think this conversation is finished Sang."  He called over his shoulder as he walked away.

I returned my attention to my desk, tidying it quickly and reviewing my work.  Time to finish off those papers before lunch. 

I worked my way through them quickly, using them to focus.   My mind kept wandering off to think about what else Silas wanted to talk about, where Nathan was going and my conversation with Luke and Gabriel in the control room earlier.  My thoughts, doubts and questions confused me.  I wish I knew the words I could say to make them happy.