Vol. 2 Ch. 34 - Cope

Start from the beginning

"Wow, maybe the next time, I'll be seeing your face everywhere I look!"

"Maybe!?" She chuckled.

"Alright then! I don't want to take much of your time. You're a busy lady after all. You take care there."

"You too. I love you, Hon!"

"I love you more."

As I hang up the phone call, I closed my eyes trying to contain my emotions. I took a deep breath and let out a sigh.

"That was a close one."

"Alright, Ichika's excited to come home. So I should be there to welcome her. Yeah, we can do this. Just a bit more. I'll wait for her."

"How long are you gonna keep it from them?"

I heard Akumi who had just come out of her room.

"As long as it takes..."

She sighed, "If that's your decision, then I don't have a say on it."

I looked at Akumi and said, "Just keep your promise, alright?"

"Yeah, I know. I won't tell anyone about your condition."

"Okay. As long as we have an understanding. I'll be taking some rest now. It's been a long day."

"Alright, Katori-kun. Good night."

"Yeah."

After knowing what my condition is, Akumi helped me with my treatment. We go for a walk every morning before going to Uni, I stopped drinking and eating the things that might worsen my condition, and I started to live as healthy as possible. I also visit the doctor to have my weekly monitoring.

Akumi wasn't kidding about what she said. She started to be the one to drive for me. She also cut some hours from her part-time work, saying that she needs to be in my place as soon as she can so she can watch over me. I tried to convince her that she doesn't have to do it but she was persistent.

After getting used to it, our setup has been like this ever since. I don't mention anything to the quints, my best friend, my mom, and especially, Ichika. I try to live my life as normal as possible. I always tell myself that it's just a condition and I'm stronger than this.

Winter arrived and I'm at the airport trying to send off another important person in my life. I don't know how many people I would see go in my lifetime. But I know that it will just be temporary.

"You better take care of Mom while you guys are there." I teasingly told Maro while their guards are taking out their luggage from the car.

"I will. Don't you worry. You guys take care here too. But I know it will be in good hands since it will be in Tahara's hands. And yours." He smiled.

"Wait? What are you saying?"

"I mean, you're getting older and I know you're ready for this. Once we get home, I'm already looking at one of the managers of the company."

"A-Are you serious?"

He placed his hand on my shoulder and said, "Of course I am. You have great potential. It's about time we explore those."

I looked at mom and asked, "Mom?"

"It would be a great opportunity for you son! Don't worry Tahara-chan will show you the ropes. And we know what you're going through anyways."

"Wait? They know!? How?!"

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"You said that you're busy with your Uni, right?"