Prologue

The second day of our school trip had arrived, and I had meticulously prepared for it. As we were in our final year of high school, I was determined to make this day unforgettable. Clutched in my hand was my trusty camera, a cherished gift from my grandmother when I graduated middle school. She believed in me, my passion for photography, and thought I deserved a proper camera.

Our journey to Kiyomizudera, our designated location for the day, took approximately half an hour. At Kiyomizudera, students gathered in their friend groups, including me and my pals, who had already made plans for the day.

The scene at Kiyomizudera was bustling. Our classmates mingled with students from other schools and tourists from different places. Amidst the crowd, I yearned to experience the Otowa Waterfall, but it was swamped with people. So, we decided to begin with a visit to the viewing stage.

"Hey, (F/N)-Kun, let's seize this moment and capture it!" 

One of my friends suggested enthusiastically. I set up my tripod to snap a photo. A few shots later, I shifted my camera's focus to the magnificent view before us. We stood high on the platform, offering a panoramic view of the surrounding buildings. My reputation as the class photographer led my classmates to request pictures, which I happily took.

In the midst of photographing my friends, a girl with orange hair and a green ribbon accidentally bumped into me, accompanied by someone who looked just like her, but with red hair and star-shaped yellow hairpins. She quickly apologized, and I responded with a friendly nod and a reassuring smile.

With my photos at the wooden stage nearly complete, I stole a glance at the still-crowded Otowa Waterfall. We decided to make a brief stop at the Jisho Shrine for more photo opportunities. Just like before, I set up my tripod to capture a group shot with my friends and classmates.

As the camera clicked away, we headed back to the Otowa Waterfall. Fortunately, the crowd had thinned since our previous visit. I grabbed a cup meant for collecting water from one of the three streams.

Seiji, one of my closest friends, chimed in, "You know, each of these streams is believed to grant different blessings."

"Really?" I replied.

"Yeah, one stream promises a long life, another success in school, and the third a fulfilling love life."

"Success in school it is!" I declared as I reached for one of the streams. However, Seiji interrupted me.

"Are you sure about that, (F/N)-Kun? Don't you think choosing the stream for a fulfilling love life might be better? After all, we're third-year high schoolers. Maybe it's time to start thinking about finding a girlfriend," he suggested playfully.

"Sounds like a good idea, but it's not on my mind right now," I responded.

"Alright then, I won't say I told you so," Seiji teased. I continued to sip water from the stream, unperturbed by the choice.

"On second thought, (F/N)... I think this might be the stream for a fulfilling love life," Seiji said, pointing towards the stream I had chosen.

"Oh, come on!" I replied with a grin.

"Well, no matter the choice, success doesn't solely depend on luck. Hard work makes the dream work," Seiji noted.

"I believe it's 'Teamwork makes the dream work,' Seiji-Kun," I corrected him.

"Whatever, it's all the same to me. It's all about putting in the effort," he replied with a chuckle.

Having snapped a few more pictures of the Otowa Waterfall and fulfilled my classmates' requests for photographs, they decided to split up to buy souvenirs. Seiji mentioned he had spotted some girls from another class he wanted to follow. Feeling like I might not quite fit into their group, I decided to head in the opposite direction.

With plenty of time left, I embarked on a solo journey to the Fushimi Inari Shrine to explore the temple. Alone, I could fully immerse myself in the art of capturing the perfect shot.

Upon reaching the shrine, I noticed other students from our school also exploring the area. I meandered through the temple, taking photos at every opportunity. While strolling, I encountered a stray cat, providing an ideal subject to add to my photo collection.

I trailed the cat for a while, hoping to get that perfect shot. However, the cat suddenly bolted, and at that very moment, rain began to pour. Fortunately, I had packed an umbrella, a wise decision considering my backpack was already carrying some weight.

"Oops!" I muttered, accidentally dropping my lens cap. It rolled away, and I rushed to retrieve it. Just as I was about to reach it, I heard an announcement through the pouring rain.

"The field trip is canceled! Please return to the hotel immediately!"

Struggling to pinpoint the source of the announcement amidst the downpour, I decided it was time to leave. Photographing in such conditions was impractical. But before I left, I spotted someone standing alone nearby.

She wasn't far from where I stood. Slowly, I approached her. As she raised her head, I noticed her uniform, identical to that of the girls in our school. I thought she might be the person the announcement had been directed at earlier. With short pink hair, earrings, and blue headphones, she stood drenched in the rain.

The sky darkened, and the rain poured relentlessly. The ground seemed on the brink of flooding, yet there she stood, all alone. Her head was slightly bowed, and her hands covered her face. I couldn't bear to simply observe.

I walked toward her, holding out my umbrella. "This weather isn't ideal for staying outside, don't you think? Here..." I positioned myself closer to her, sheltering both of us beneath the umbrella. She turned to look at me, slowly lowering her hands, revealing her face. With pretty blue eyes, delicate eyelashes, and what I considered a pretty face, she gave me a small, rain-soaked smile.

I couldn't tell if it was the rain, but to me, it looked like the saddest smile I had ever seen.