Chapter 3

I swiftly made my way to the familiar dull grey cart full of extravagant goods. From sashes to meats, scarfs, beads, weapons, tools, animal skins, and cloaks.

But the most exotic was the man who owned the cart. He had a .... colorful sort personality.

    With piercing brown eyes and a strong build he could come off as intimidating. But with a closer look you could see the twinkle of wonder in his eyes.

       His crooked grin always seemed to brighten when I came to visit. But I came for business and business alone. I tapped over the wooden exterior that left off a sharp thwack that bounced off the wood.

   His eyes soon fastened to mine and a warm grin spread across his cheeks. His eyes as usual brightened to my presence.

      "Well hello Amelia", he said filling the awkward void of silence.

      "Good morning Amar" I stated with a curt nod of the head.

"What brings you here?" He asked his eyes adverts mine as he fiddles with the beaded sashes that seemed to sparkle in they sun like a jewel.

  Like he had no idea why I come every week.

      "The usual Amar." I replied.

  His sigh filled the echo of the cart but soon was replaced by the clattering of the goods hitting the counter.

  "You know every time I do this, I wonder what I get out of it" He said jokingly.

  "That will be one silver piece" he explained as he slipped the knife and small amount of bread in my little satchel I carried everywhere.

   I slipped the little piece worth so much to many onto the little counter.

"I am sorry I cannot go for that low of an amount", a stern poker face had settled on his features.

   But he had so much to learn and I knew he would soon crack if I gave him one more coin. In total I gave him half the amount he had asked for.

   A small brow raised as he took the coins and waited expectantly. I raised the hood of my cloak, shifting it so my face was slightly more revealed, and I gave a big smile, teeth and all. 

He soon returned it back, clapping his hands in pure joy.

   You see my smile comes around once in a thousand years. It is not that I have a problem with smiling. It is just I have nothing left to smile for.

   He simply nodded to show my price was paid in gallons full.

       I soon took my lead away from the small cart and back onto the streets of swarming amounts of adverse people. Just in time to see a young boy steal an apple right in the view of a non-suspecting soldier. But their were other eyes on the boy than my own.

"Thief, Thief!" The man cried.

    Before the boy could process what was to happen he was pinned to the wall and his hand held above his head .He cried out in pain as the grip looked tight enough to crack a hand in a second.

  "You filthy peasant," he spit, " have stole from a man and you shall now lose your hand in price so you may never steal another item again" he said in a menacing tone.

People looked at everything but the event occurring in front of them. Not that they didn't care, it was just that they could do nothing and if they tried it would come down twice as badly on them.

   Some just nodded their heads solemnly in realization that he was just a starving boy and needed something to eat.

      The young boy stayed quiet, shaking in fear of what was to happen. It repulsed me. I just can't watch. But an insane thought occurred to me.

    To try and stop the punishment. But the most insane thing was I found myself carefully taking out the knife from my satchel and gripping the blade. My movements were happening way to fast to process.

I chucked the knife straight at the soldiers hand before he lowered his risen sword slicing the fabric just above his wrist pinning it to the wall.

   His sword had dropped from his hand clattering to the ground and his grip was released from the boy. Astonishing both the soldier and myself. All I could do was either stay and die or my first instinct: to flee.

   I stared straight into the boys eyes that were full of astonishment and thanks.

"Run!" was all I could say then quickly we shoved through the city at full sprint trying to escape the dangers that lay a few paces behind us catching on our tails quickly.