- 12

(power reference, lmk if yall want more of Tate, added a photo of him to the Intro)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

She wasn't there.

    He didn't find her in her room, nor the rainbow room, not even in the meeting rooms they used to have classes in.

    Panic started to set in, if she wasn't there, where would she be?  If something happened to her again, if Brenner did something to her again.  Maybe he knew, maybe he had somehow found out that the chip had been removed, maybe he was punishing 001 for it again.  That brought back memories of the day he saw her again, and he was stupid, so stupid.  She would definitely be training with Brenner again.

    So, he took off down a hallway, making sure the bleeding had stopped and his collar covered the wound.  He quickly got lost though, struggling to remember the many twists and turns Brenner had led him down that first day.  Shit, he had no idea where he was, he was lost, helpless.  And then it struck him, he had his powers back.  He ducked into a spare room, leaving the lights off, the darkness helped him focus, helped him tap back into that dark ticking in the back of his mind that had started again.  However, the moment he started to stretch out his powers, a stab of pain shot straight through his skull, a headache flaring.  Shit, it was like immediately overworking a muscle that had been injured and unused for years.  But that didn't matter, pain he could handle, he was almost there.  On his way to freeing her, saving her from whatever mental prison Brenner had trapped her in.  That gave him a rush of hope and determination that he shifted into his abilities to stretch them out, sifting through the minds in the lab, finally finding the one person he needed.  He opened his eyes again, the mental connection luckily continuing.  As if his powers worked like a compass, he felt a sharp, instinctual tug that led him to the left.

    He followed this for about ten minutes, winding further and further down hallways he didn't even know the lab had.  Eventually, he reached that large, bare door waiting for him at the end of a hallway.  One last time he stretched out his abilities to sense if Brenner was in there, watching.  With the assurance that he wasn't, 001 opened the door and stepped inside, letting the door shut quietly behind him.  To the left, the door to the control room was shut, but the observation window was open for viewing.  And there she was, the sight of her, of the possibility of her remembering him took his breath away.  He simply stood there admiring her for a few moments, enough to fully take in how much she had grown, the slight scatter of freckles over her nose, her sharp, amber eyes.  And she was beautiful.  However, he also studied what Brenner was making her practice with her powers.  With a jolt of shock, he realized one of Brenner's workers was in the corner, likely having seen 001.  As long as he acted heartbroken, acted lost, and acted like he was working he hoped the worker wouldn't care that he was there.  What was odd was the age of the worker, if he had to guess he would've guessed that the worker was very close to the age of him and A1.  The worker was a brunette, with darker skin and calculating eyes.

    A1 seemed to have some sort of thermal tether between her hands and the rabbit in a cage in front of her.  Her face was screwed up, she looked frustrated, stressed.  The orangish gold energy circled her hands and lingered in her palm, extending in a large thread of power that connected straight into where the rabbit's heart would be.

    "Now harness it, A1." the worker commanded, stepping around next to her.  And 001 couldn't help the stab of jealousy that shot through him, even though he was likely being stupid.  He needed to stay focused.

    She made that really hard when she turned to the worker and made eye contact.  She then turned back around, looking more determined as she twisted her hands.

    And then the thread broke between them as she dropped her hands and her head, letting out a frustrated sigh.

    "I cannot kill an innocent creature, Tate" A1 seethed, stepping further away from the cage with a sad glance at it.

    "You had the most progress I've seen all week, you had the connection, you just need to seize it." the worker snapped back, stepping forward to yank the cage off the table.

    "Fine, you do it then if it's so easy"

    He let out a short, humorless laugh, "Trust me, Emmaline, if I had even a fraction of your powers I would use them."

    001 watched, a mix of confusion and anger seeping through him.

    What had he missed in the month he spent training 11?