Chapter 43: They Who Fell from the Sky

ابدأ من البداية

         He gestured openly in Haku's direction from beside them, "Kohakuchan has been assigned to mentor Megumi and Yuuji."

         "Haku Senpai?!" Fushiguro exclaimed in disbelief, eyes whipping up to Gojo then down to Haku.

         Itadori gave the fakest of gasps, "Oh wow. Haku Senpai is my mentor. Absolutely did not see that coming. This is a total shock and surprise! Wow! I am stunned," in his most monotone and obviously suspicious voice; he struggled to lie.

         "Shut up," Haku sighed, already having had enough of his antics.

         Gojo took no concern and continued, "Kohakuchan has been given the details and the three of you are instructed to leave as soon as you're ready."

         Haku flitted their gaze between the two boys, momentarily making eye contact, then turned around and proceeded to walk back the way they came— exiting the school without another word.

         Fushiguro and Itadori exchanged a single look only to scramble after Haku who was already making great strides ahead. It took effort but eventually the two first years managed to catch up to Haku. The group proceeded in silence and the only information shared seemed to be from the small glances exchanged between Fushiguro and Itadori that grew more and more clueless the further away from campus they got. Nonverbally, through strict facial expressions, the two communicated and actively encouraged the other to be brave and speak up.

         Itadori won and Fushiguro cleared his throat loudly to be heard over the pounding raindrops, "So where are we going?" he called out, but Haku did not turn around or stop.

         "Shibuya," Haku replied loud enough, keeping their pace.

         Itadori and Fushiguro's eyes lit up. The group wouldn't be traveling far, but the destination was unexpected. Fushiguro asked once again, "If this is a mission, what about your scythe Haku Senpai?"

         "Don't need it."

         Itadori gasped, rushing forward in an attempt to place their hands on Haku's shoulders but before his hands could come crashing down with unruly excitement, Haku preemptively flinched like a startled cat and took a sweeping step to the side just out of the way. They stared at Itadori with wide eyes, shock that seemed to scream without words. At least now the group stopped moving.

         Itadori either didn't notice Haku's expression or didn't mind as his overall enthusiasm hadn't diminished, "Haku Senpai, you only bring your scythe on dangerous missions, does this mean the mission won't be dangerous?!"

         "I am not allowed to disclose that information," they replied coldly.

         "What exactly are we being tested on then?" Fushiguro persisted, growing impatient as he took a step forward to be at Itadori's side. To any passerby, this scene might appear to be two school bullies ruthlessly ganging up on an underclassman, but it couldn't have been more opposite.

         Haku's intense glare pierced Fushiguro's eyes causing him to avert his gaze, intimidated. They didn't back down as they replied with the levelest of tones, "Whatever I feel like."

         Itadori groaned, crumbling to lean on Fushiguro at his side for strength, "Huh? That's so vague! Can't you be a little more specific Senpai?"

         The stare with the sharp lethality of 1,000 daggers had been turned Itadori's way. Immediately he felt a cold chill run down his spine like a needle cautiously teasing his skin threatening to puncture him at any moment should he make a false move. Haku said after a moment of deliberation, "Just don't require me to save your ass and you'll be fine."