Chapter Six - Darling Charming

Darling dragged her legs up to her dorm after wishing Apple a goodnight. She rubbed her eyes as she entered the hallways.

"Ack!" Darling yelped, as she noticed a dark figure standing near her door.

"Where were you?" Ginger asked, crossing her arms.

"Look, Gin-"

"No, Darling. I didn't start dating you just so you can cheat on me."

"I didn't start dating you so you can be toxic, besides, why do you think I was cheating?"

"I saw. I saw the way you looked at Apple."

Darling sighed. "What the fuck, Ginger. We can't even last a day without you throwing out assumptions?"

"That girl takes everything away. I should know. She just stole the love of my life."

"Ginger you're being ridiculous! I don't like Apple that way. I just think the girl deserves some real friends."

"I'm sorry Darling, I just... can't. Not now. It was a mistake. I was being stupid."

Darling frowned. "So we're breaking up? Didn't even get proper us time and you don't want to be in a relationship. This isn't middle school anymore, Ginger. Love doesn't work like that."

"Maybe you should've thought about that before you agreed to date me. We are done." Ginger said and walked passed Darling.

"Ginger seriously?"

"Yes, seriously! Bye Charming." And she was gone.

Darling groaned and leaded against the wall, letting the darkness of the empty hall surround her.

"Fastest relationship record?" A voice cooed.

"Oh gee." Darling said.

Apple stood at the mouth of the stairs.

"You heard that?"

"And saw it. You forgot your sunglasses." Apple handed them into Darlings cold hands. "Feeling alright?"

"Ehh, is it bad that I don't even feel sad?"

"Awe, little relationship crisis? Anything I could do for you?"

Darling thought, than smirked.  "You could stay in my dorm for the night. Like a sleepover"

Apples eyes widened, and she redend. "What about Roseabella?"

"Out for the night with her little friend group. They'll be in another dorm. I usually get quite time Saturday nights."

"Then I would be honored."

Apple quickly ran down to her dorm to get some things as Darling fixed up her side of the room.

Soon, both of them were in the pajamas, sitting on the bed.

"So... you really know, don't you?" Apple suddenly said through the quiet.

"Huh?" Darling asked, distracted by Apples glowing face.

"You're sexuality." She pointed to the flag on Darlings wall.

"Uh, yeah. Lesbian. You're okay with that, right?"

Apple nodded. "Of course, I think?" She said.

Darling frowned at the comment. "So what's you're sexuality? If it's not a secret, of course."

Apples breathe hitched. "Straight? I mean, I think..."

Apple doesn't notice how disappointed washes over Darling's face.

"You've still got time to figure it out." She said, and laid on her back, looking at the ceiling.

Apple looked at her, and also laid back.

"I mean, I'm not sure. Ever since Daring left me, because of the, well, uhm... kiss, I've come to a few realisations." She hesitated.

Darling turned to her. "Don't worry Apple, you can tell me anything."

Apple turned to Darling and looked in her eyes. Darlings breathe hitched. Her eyes shined a shade of blue that screamed sunny day. Her heart did a little flutter, as her eyes traveled through all of Apple.

"I've never liked Daring. Sure, he's a great person, but he's not for me. The only reason I dated him was because of my story. If it wasn't for that, I would've never looked twice at him. In our relationship I did realise I didn't love him. I searched for someone new. I know it was wrong, but I went on a few dates, but never found anyone. Boys... they just, don't. And after I found no one to love me, I..." she halted, rethinking everything in the world.

"Darling... I think I'm a lesbian."

Darling rendered those words in her head. She was lesbian. Apple White was a lesbian.

Darling reached for Apples hand. "You know how brave you were to tell me that just now, Apple? The fact that you hid it from the world, and just told me... congrats, A."

Apples grinned shined in the dim light, as she softly giggled. The secret was out now.

Sooner rather than later, it hit 1:37, reminding the girls that sleep was still important, for they had classes tomorrow.

They lay on Darlings bed, in silence in the dark.

After a few minutes, Apple spoke again. "Darling?"

"Mhm." She said, eyes still closed.

"You promise not to tell anyone, right?"

Darling looked at her, her eyes adjusting in the dark.

"I would never, Apple."

After those words, everything became more vivid. The more feeling of Apples body next to hers under the covers. The song of crickets out side the window. The stars shining bright.

Darling deeply breathed, scrunching her toes, making them crack.

Apple turned to her again. Their face was inches away. Darling could feel Apples warm breathe on her  face. This moment. It lasted long.

"Do you think that maybe, I could be the first girl  you ever kiss?" Darling whispered, making Apple shiver.

She places her cold hand on her hip, then she slowly went lower, her fingers barely under underwear.

Apple softly giggled. "Maybe."

Darling smiled, and inched closer. This was it. The collision. Darlings lips softly brushed against Apples. She lingered, teasing Apple. Slowly, their lips touch-

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING

The fire alarm shook the whole school awake.

....
Every Ever After High student stood out side the school. Everyone in their pyjamas, everyone still half asleep. Darling was in that crowd.

She angrily glared as the small fire was being put out. Such a small issue, causing such an commotion. She wasn't just angry because it was the middle of the night, the was angry because who ever started the fire ruined her potential first kiss with Apple.

As her face looked up, as most other students were doing, Darling felt someone watching her. She looked around, only to see Ginger in the crowd. Darling raised an eyebrow, and Ginger, realising that they made eye contact, looked down at her phone, which was illuminating her face.

Darlings phone dinged and Darling raised her hand to see a message from the girl.

Darling, I'm so sorry. I was just mad, and it wasn't even your fault. I had no right to lash my anger out on you. Please, give me another chance?  I'm sorry. Forgive me??