Chapter Thirty

The enchantment hadn't worked

The enchantment hadn't worked. I wasn't sure how Sharian hadn't noticed. Once the circle of runes had appeared on my mouth and he had begun to say the enchantment, I had felt pain in my throat, but it vanished not too long afterwards. It was nothing like the others had seemed to experience. When the enchanter had asked me to try and say something about them, I had to pretend to not be able to say anything. There had been nothing holding me back.

Why hadn't it worked? Had Sharian been too exhausted to finish the final enchantment? Or was I protected somehow?

Griffin led us through Bellgrave Village once more until we reached a series of several smaller huts. Now that the news of our arrival had spread like wildfire, everyone stopped to stare as we walked past them. They were just as amazed with our existence as we were with theirs.

We came to a stop outside one of the huts and the fae girl stepped out of the way of the door. "A healer is inside to help patch you up, but I can't stay with you this time. I need to report that the enchantments worked to the Elders." I could sense there was a deep-rooted urge to get us to leave the village as soon as possible. Perhaps that wasn't a bad thing now that one slip up — one wrong word — and my life was on the line.

As we entered, I noticed that the hut was more nicely decorated than the others we had been to. Potted flowers of various colours filled the window, allowing them to get the sunlight they needed. A hand-weaved rug lay beneath our feet which was surprisingly well made for a village that likely didn't have access to the tools normal textile workers would.

In the centre of the one-room building were a low bed and a few chairs surrounding it. Sat in one of them was Ceerel, swinging her legs back and forth as they dangled in the air, humming an off-kilter tune. In the other one was a woman with a long, blonde braid down her back. She wore a leather tunic and a fuchsia apron that was tied tightly around her. Instead of the gleaming green we had seen the rest of the fae in the village have, her eyes were an ice-like blue.

"Hello!" Ceerel waved at us as we walked in, a beaming smile pushing up her dimples.

"Ah, hello!" The woman greeted as she rose from her chair, heading over to us in an instant. "I'm Wyantha, one of the head healers at Bellgrave Village. I've been updated on your situation already." She spoke quickly, making it difficult for me to keep up with her words. "Which one of you is injured?"

I stepped forwards. "That would be me."

Wyantha linked her arm with mine and guided me to the bed. "I'm going to need you to sit here for me if that's okay. Then, I'll need you to take off your shirt so I can get to the source of that blood." Her smile was warm, something comforting and assuring. It made me feel safe in her presence.

Ceerel watched eagerly from where she sat, excited as she watched who I assumed was her mentor.

Auron speaking stopped me from reaching for the hem of my shirt. "We'll wait outside." An embarrassed fluster was present on his face. Even Kayne's eyes found a sudden interest in the ground.