Chapter One

Heat

Heat. Scorching heat was all I could feel as I stuck my gloved hand back into the furnace. It consumed me, enveloped me. The flames became one with me.

This was what I adored about creating weapons. There were unlimited ideas of what you could make to be used in battle. Whether it be a two-faced axe or a dagger with several extendable blades, the possibilities were endless. Having them all at my fingertips made me feel powerful, like I belonged.

Sweat dripped down my brow as I held the blade into the fire of the furnace again, softening the metal so I could meld it to the shape I wanted it to be. I used the back of my hand to wipe my forehead dry before picking up my tools again to hone the weapon's sharpness.

Unlike the other swords, axes, and other items for battle I made, this one was for me. A small project I was allowed time to work on between my other orders. So far, it was a dull, double-edged sword that appeared to be similar to the ones I had made the previous week. But, when I was finished with it, it would be beautiful.

The music that was playing in the background was faint under the roaring flames before me. It was a tune I had bought off of a travelling salesman from Icrodia, my home kingdom. A little piece of what I had lost when my parents had sold me to the Kingdom of Racaea. The song pushed me onwards, urging me to finish the sword in all its glory. Now, it wouldn't be too long until it was complete.

I worked tirelessly through the morning, not stopping to rest or for food, and eventually, it was done. After working on it since sunrise, the dagger was finally finished. The hilt glistened with a circlet of embedded jewels, the greedy flames reflecting in them, wanting to reach out and claim them. There was still enough room to comfortably hold the weapon without having them dig into your palm. It was a piece to be used to look good while ending an enemy's life.

The bell above the front door to the blacksmiths rang as I leant back in my chair, admiring my work, causing me to check the clock on the wall. It was still only early in the morning. Surely, nobody would be looking to buy weapons at this time, the soldiers of the Racaea army were still training.

I made my way to the front of the building, taking the disc of music out of the player as I did so, willing my features to twist themselves into something appropriate to face a customer. Why did this have to happen on one of the only mornings I was working?

"Welcome to-" I began, only to be interrupted by the man in front of me.

"Well, well. You're up early, Sabre. How is my favourite weaponsmith doing?" Prince Kayne leant on the front desk, his chin resting on his palm. I expected there to be blood on his palm when he lifted it as his jawline was so sharply cut, a sharpness I envied for my weapons. His blonde streaked hair was ruffled from the wind, making it appear to look incredibly soft and only just allowing the tips of his pointed ears to show through. The thin, white shirt he wore had the first few buttons undone and contrasted with his lime green eyes, causing them to pierce whoever stared into them.