Chapter 6: Akogare

When everyone was done with their meal, you quietly left the room

When everyone was done with their meal, you quietly left the room. When finally outdoors, you felt chilly wind tugging on your hair. Strangely enough, it became cold. On top of that, you still haven't managed to quench your thirst.

You couldn't catch the cold, could you? You sighed pathetically in your head. You weren't the type to get sick very often but when you did, it took you a week or more to get up from the bed. Pneumonia and quinsy were your regular guests.

Suddenly you felt hot, the droplets of sweat appearing on your forehead. You shook your head with disbelief. After getting off from the dais, you headed toward the nearby well, hoping that rinsing one's face with the cool water would chase out the unpleasant thoughts.

Being near the edge of the well to gather the water, you suddenly felt something pulled you from behind. Someone grasped your collar. Yet, you couldn't really tell who it was. Could it be perhaps Harada or Nagakura? You scrunched your eyebrows, trying to turn around but with no use. The grip was too strong for you to escape it.

"Don't you think you're a little out of line?"

You didn't need to wonder for long as just a voice sent shivers up your spine. Uh-oh, that was Okita. You should get out of here as fast as possible.

"Weren't you taught at home to answer the questions?" he said truculently. Even without seeing his face you could tell he was angry. Unceremoniously, you got pulled by the collar once again and tossed around like a ragdoll.

Despite having to thickly swallow, in the end, you've managed to gather the courage to muster up the reply.

"And weren't you taught at home how to handle your guests?"

If it weren't for Kondou and Inoue using again and again this term, you wouldn't have even thought about it. You were far from being a guest; rather a free-loader from the future feeding on the hospitality of the historical figures. Still, you had enough of the first division captain making trouble for you; you needed to talk back to him. You knew you should've been silently waiting for him to get bored and retreat. Yet, you couldn't help but do it anyway. It just wasn't in your nature to quietly get a lashing. You were always a fast talker; and with your impulsivity it was a real explosive mixture.