Chapter 17

When the realization officially set in, you were determined to get the kids back.

You ran back inside the house and grabbed the broom you had brought with you. When you came back out Gauche was done harassing the older nun and tried to take off on the broom he had brought.

"Where the hell do you think you're going!" You yelled up at him, not pleased that he was trying to leave you and Asta behind. You didn't know what you were up against and for all you know it could be a death wish to go without any help.

"To save Marie." Was his short response.

"Oh yeah? Well how the hell are you going to save her without us? For all we know there could be a whole hoard of enemies and we could just be walking into a trap. So suck up that 'I can do it myself' attitude and let us help you!" You yelled again.

You could see he had a slight conflict within himself and ended up landing back on the ground, albeit hesitantly.

"Thank you, Gauche." You were glad he listened to reason.

"I'm only doing this for Marie." He said, giving a slight glare.

You ignored the comment, and were about to grab Asta and mount your broom with him when you saw the older nun come to your little trio.

"I am coming with. I can not stand by and let you do all this by yourself." She stated. You were unsure about this, as you didn't want the woman to get hurt and to worry about protecting her in the process.

"It's ok Sister! We'll bring the kids back safe and sound!" Asta shouted with a big grin on his face.

"Let her come." Gauche called over his shoulder. "She used to be a magic knight. The old hag is more than capable of fending for herself."

"Alright then." You sighed. You still weren't too sure, but you trusted Gauche's opinion. He knew her better than Asta and you anyway.

Gauche let the woman ride behind him while you had Asta on your broom. You both had gotten off the ground and were finally about to fly off, when you heard a different voice call after the group. When you peered down, Noelle was trying to get onto her own broom and join you.

"Wait! Let me also come with!" She yelled up.

"No, you'll only get in the way. You still can't control your magic enough to fly that broom anyway. If you want to be useful than alert the Captain about the situation." Gauche called down. Before there was any more protests he flew off.

You sent Noelle an apologetic look and followed Gauche. You couldn't waste anymore time on who stays and who goes.

"We'll be back soon!" Asta called back as you concentrated on following Gauche.

~▪️☘️▪️~

It didn't take long to figure out where the kids were taken. There were tiny footprints you could make out in the snow, that you saw lead to a small cave.

As you looked down at the powder white snow, you made out a blob of reddish like hair. Your eyes widened when you figured out it was one of the missing children.

"There's a kid down there!" You yelled out, drawing the attention of Gauche and ,who you came to know as, Sister Theresa.

"We can't stop. Marie is more important." Gauche called back before flying onward. Appalled by his behavior, you gave him a glare and flew down to help the innocent child.

When you reached the ground, you noticed the child was shaking from the cold and was in a trance like state. He didn't even acknowledge that you and Asta were there and kept on trying to get over a small heap of snow.

"Isn't that one of Rebecca's little brothers?" Asta asked.

"It sure is." You touched the boys shoulder but he didn't react in the slightest.

He's under some magic spell.

"Asta," You glanced over your shoulder at him, "take one of your swords and tap him gently with the hilt. It might break him out of whatever spell he is under." Asta gave an affirmative nod and pulled out the bigger of the two swords he had. Gently, he tapped the boys forehead and just like that the boy was no longer trying to crawl up the small hill of snow.

He looked around with a sleepy yet confused look.

"Where am I? What happened?" He asked when he finally spotted the two of you.

"Some bad people were trying to take you and the other children. Is there anything that you can recall? If you can't that's alright." You said to the boy, getting down on one knee to be at his level.

"I'm sorry, I don't remember anything. One minute I was in my bed and the next I was out here." He looked down disappointedly.

"Don't worry!" Asta piped in. "Us magic knights will be able to help no matter what!"

"Really?" The boy asked hopefully.

"Mhm." Asta replied with a smile on his face.

The boy was still shivering so you took your robe off and wrapped it around the child.

"Here, this will keep you warm."

"I can't possibly take this! Only brave magic knights like you wear this!"

You smile gently at the boy and chuckled.

"You've been plenty brave tonight. Probably one of the bravest kids I know. Now keep warm and take care of this for me while we help all your friends. Okay?" You said, trying to give the boy as much comfort as possible.

Your words gave him some form of inspiration and he gave a firm nod of determination.

You ruffled his hair before going back to your broom and mounting the wood.

"We'll be back before you know it!" Asta called to the boy before the both of you took off back up into the air. The boy was waving his smaller hands and kept the robe wrapped tightly around him.

You got to the entrance of the small cave that had footprints outside of it. Surprisingly, Gauche and Mother Theresa were waiting outside the mouth of it, Gauche looking impatient as ever.

"Took you two long enough. What were you doing, throwing a tea party?"

"Making sure a child that you left behind was alright." You snapped back.

"Tsk." Was the only reply he gave. He was going to get under your skin quick if he kept up this type of behavior.

"It doesn't matter now. What matters is we save the rest of these children." Sister Theresa said, bringing you back to the current situation.

You gave her a nod and the four of you entered the cave, anticipating the worst and hoping for the best.

Word Count: 1142

(A/n)
Sorry if this chapter isn't accurate to the episodes and such. I am just going off of memory and it's been a year or two since I've seen these specific ones and I'm too lazy to fact check things. But I hope you enjoy none the less! Hope you have a good day/night!
~ Ari