CHAPTER 3 : The Man In The Red Cap

After few minutes, the police's car pulled up at the Robinson's Mansion gate. Inspector Robert had visited the mansion previously for investigation purpose but now the security at the gate seemed to be tightened. Perhaps the Robinsons were too afraid after their daughter was kidnapped and for their own protection they might have increased the security. Robert rang the bell and after some time a short man opened the door. He was the servant of the Robinsons'. He let the inspector in and requested him to have a seat while he informed the Robinsons. Meanwhile Robert sat on the elegant sofa and observed the mansion carefully. There was a magnificient and dazzling chandelier at the middle of the room. The architecture of the mansion was modern with posh furniture. There were stairs on either side of the vast living room.
Soon Mrs. Robinson came hurrying down the stairs and greeted Robert and ordered the servant to bring some lemonade. "Did u find any information regarding our daughter?" Mrs. Robinson asked restlessly. "Not yet, but I think we will find it soon. Anyways, I have come here for enquiry, if you don't mind?" he said. "No, of course. But my husband is not home now. He went to the office for some urgent work and won't be returning until night. Can we do the enquiry without him?" she asked him. "Yeah, we can. So, Mrs. Robinson, do you suspect anyone for your daughter's disappearance?" Mrs. Robinson avoided making eye contact with him, "No sir, I suspect no one. My daughter, Jenny, was friendly and kind towards everyone she met. I don't understand why would anyone do this to her. She is just a kid. I don't remember her fighting with anyone except she recently had a small quarrel with one of her best friends over some matter." The interrogation continued with some few more questions asked when Robert got up. "I have got all the answers I needed from you. Thank you for answering me. I hope you would come to the station for any further enquiry if we need." "Yes sir, surely I will." He made his way towards the door when he caught a glimpse of a man who came in through the door carrying a watering can and a gardening scissor. He stopped and thought hard. The man, when he saw the officer lowered his eyes and walked rapidly towards the other room.
He was that man captured in the cctv. He was a servant of the Robinsons! And if he wasn't the crook, why did he speed towards the other room after seeing the police. The man had entered the other room now. Robert thought for a moment. The man was a prime suspect in this case and would prove to be an essential lead. He must not let him go. So, Robert turned back to Mrs. Robinson and asked her about him. "His name is Richard. He is a servant of our's, officer." "Since how many years is he working in this mansion?", he asked her. "He's been working here for many years, perhaps 2-3 years now. But why are you asking me about him?" Robert looked at Mrs. Robinson and could easily see she was puzzled. "You will get to know the reason in few minutes ma'am. But as of now, I want to enquire him right now.", Robert said. Mrs. Robinson first stared at him still confused and then ordered one of her servant to bring back Richard. They waited for few minutes and then the servant came back alone. "I searched the whole room ma'am but he's not visible anywhere", the servant said. Both Robert and Mrs. Robinson were startled on hearing this. Had he run away and escaped? Robert ran towards the room followed by Mrs. Robinson. When he entered the room, there was no one. There was a king-sized bed and posh furniture and a large window which was wide open and there he was, running away!