9

"Today is the day! I'm so proud of you!" Susan straightened Cooper's tie. Adelaide was there to help celebrate, "you've got to look perfect when you accept that award!"
     "We don't know what I'm getting yet."
     "I don't care what you get because you have a proud momma! Let me get your picture. You get in there too Adelaide."
  "I'm so proud of you Cooper!" Adelaide said, "I can't put it into words."

     The hustle and bustle of the ceremony was overwhelming at the least. Cooper preferred to get his results through text, but with earplugs, they could stay calm.
     An announcer stepped to the podium and quieted the crowd. Cooper breathed. His mother tapped on his shoulder, signaling that it was time to take the ear plugs out.
     "Thank you all for making it here this afternoon to celebrate the amazing writers of Allen County. Before I begin, let's give a hand to every single person who entered the contest."
     The crowd clapped. Cooper complied, wishing to put the ear plugs back. He did not.
     "And now, what you've been waiting for, our top contestants!"
    The crowd applauded again.
     "For third place we have the talented author of a short story called 'Galaxy Calling' give it up for Mackenzie O'Donnell!"
     A woman who looked to be in college at least stepped onstage and accepted her trophy, smiling and waving. The crowd clapped. A few, probably her family, stood up to take pictures.
     "For second place, talented author of 'Miracle Goodnight' we have Aiden Jackson!"
     A red-headed boy who couldn't have been more than a year older than Cooper stepped on stage. He accepted the trophy, nodded at his audience with an awkward smile, and looked at his family, cheering and snapping pictures."
     The announcer let the applause end naturally, and dramatically paused.
     "And finally, last but not least, our youngest contestant, author of 'More Pride, Less Prejudice' the one and only, Cooper Collins!"
     He let his voice ring out as if Cooper was a well known celebrity making an appearance on a talk show. He was filled with an overwhelming euphoria as he walked to the stage. The clapping around them was dull in his ears, their thoughts were louder. But all his thoughts could say was wow.
     Cooper awkwardly walked onstage and accepted the award, attempting to whisper a 'thank you' but words would not come out. They gazed toward the audience, with the clapping and cheering, but not enough to drown out his mother and Adelaide, screaming his name and taking pictures. He could feel the tears on his mothers face. He looked over to see Mr. Grant and Mrs. Anderson standing and clapping. Mrs. Anderson covered her mouth. He stood onstage for a second, not knowing what to do with his body, and stepped down, walking back to his biggest fans.
     Cooper worried that no event in his life could top this moment.