2

"I was worried she'd say that to you, but I'm glad she still found a contest for you," Mr. Grant said, "you're a very gifted writer, your stories deserve to be heard."
     Mr. Grant's American Lit. class was mundane at best, and Mr. Grant wasn't a very exciting guy, but nevertheless, Cooper looked forward to the class. It was his second year taking a class with Mr. Grant— now a junior, Cooper took freshman English also with Mr. Grant. If anything was going on at school, Cooper could go to Mr. Grant. If anything even was happening at home or outside of school, Cooper could go to Mr. Grant.
     "I'm really just like you Cooper. The other kids will never know that, but I feel like you will." Cooper knew exactly.

                                       ***
      "Could I enter something in this contest?" Cooper's girlfriend Adelaide asks as they walk home.
     "If you scrape up fifteen dollars and don't talk about anything gay," Cooper replies.
     "You wrote about something gay."
     "She gave me a lot of shit for it."
     "That is true. I'm not even sure I have fifteen dollars."
     "I can get you the money, Addi. Just so long as you have a finished story to present."
     "I think I have one. I don't think it's 'gay' either."
     "By our standards? Or by a straight person's standards?"
     "I don't know. It doesn't mention relationships at all. I doubt the judges analyze whether or not the characters might be gay."
     "Well," Cooper chuckles, "Mrs. Anderson probably thinks they do."

                                      ***
     "You were serious," Mrs. Anderson was surprised when Cooper came up with the fifteen dollar entry fee.
     "I- I certainly was," they say, in attempt to hide their frustration with Mrs. Anderson's attitude.
     "I'm really proud of you for taking this chance, Cooper. You're a very talented writer and I hope they can see that with or without the subject matter you have chosen. Now, I need to enter your e-mail and phone number, so you can be notified of each time winners are announced."
     "Each time?"
     "Yes. It's in rounds. If you pass the amateur round, you earn a twenty dollar cash prize and move to the intermediate round. Then, if you make it past that round, you earn a fifty dollar cash prize and move to the advanced round."
     "What does the winner of the advanced round get?"
     "Third place gets a hundred dollar cash prize, second place gets a two hundred dollar cash prize, and first? First gets three hundred and their story is published in the Allen County Journal!"
     "I wasn't aware how local this all was,"
     "I admit I didn't disclose too much information because I wanted to discourage you. But you're quite ambitious. I wish you nothing but the best of luck."
     "Thank you"
      "Even though I anticipate you'll do well with or without luck on your side. You're a very good writer."

                                     ***
     "Are you entering anything, Adelaide?"
     "No, I decided against it. I'll just root for you on the sidelines."
     "You know I wouldn't care if you did."
     "Oh I know. I just didn't have any stories I was comfortable with putting out there. Maybe next year."