xvii. dancing in the moonlight

chapter seventeen
dancing in the moonlight

THE SMELL OF medicine came wafting through Raven's nose, the only scent she can smell for the past three weeks and a smell that she now despises. It's been almost a month since the undesirable encounter with the unknown, she was feeling a little more better after spending the past weeks in the hospital, being sent there after fainting that night El closed the gate. It's been also almost a month since she've last heard of Gorgon, every night she kept on trying to see if it was still there, but to her luck, there was no response. She can still feel it there, hiding somewhere in the depths of her body, isolating or whatever.

During her stay in, the party would visit her everyday after class, but it's mostly just Max. They'd always update her about the outside and they'd also be updated about her and the entity from within. They've suggested things about where the entity must've gone, but all of those were blocked out by the thought the Gorgon might have been gone, the only answer to their questions. It was part reassuring and mostly not, Gorgon's absence is proof that it's all gone and over, that they can live their normal life once more.

Raven sighed, taking her headphones off of her ear and letting it rest on her shoulders. She was sat in a bench, not so far from the reception where her mother stood, along with her father, talking to the nurse behind the counter. Today was her last day in, and she's to be sent home, lie low for a couple of days until the doctor gives her a go sign so she can go to school and be out again. She sees no reason for all of those and for staying in the hospital for too long for she's been well, no wounds or anything, just a few head aches here and there, nothing severe.

"Okay, so, I got us some Skittles and Reece's, I was looking for nougat but their vending machine doesn't have it here." Robin sat down beside her, showing her the packs of candy she had in hand. "They're the only things I think you'll like, so I got them. Now chose one, but I think you'll choose Skittles, since peanut butter aren't good in the morning, you said."

Raven chuckled, facing her older sister and looking at the candy she had. She placed a hand on her chin, acting as though she was thinking, weighing the options as though making a really hard decision. "Hmm, I'll get the Skittles."

They both settled in their seats with a warm smile on their faces, opening their packs in sync, moving as one. The siblings watched the interaction between the nurse and their parents, observing as they signed few papers. "I don't think keeping you in here for three weeks is necessary."

"I dont think so too," said Raven in between chewing.

"I think they're just making money out of you." Robin sneaked some pieces of Raven's candy, going fast with putting them into her mouth. "The bills are also higher this year."

"Yeah." Raven have seen unfamiliar faces check on her every now and then, some acting strange around her, taking small bits of her blood and everytime she would ask, they'd give the same answer, all unconvincing for the hospital haven't done it to her the previous year. She saw one of those strange 'doctors' standing by a far corner by the stairs, watching every move she made, staring through her, and she stare back. "Maybe that's because of the additional staff they have this year."

"Hello, young one." Raven turned to the source of the voice to see nurse Allie in front of them, holding onto her clipboard like the usual. The nurse looked to be in her mid 20s, with brown hair, hazel eyes, and tanned skin, holding a soft smile at all times, presence warm and comforting. Raven always admired the woman, considering herself lucky to always have the her assigned to take care of her, she's the only part of the hospital Raven liked.