"Let's move," Vector said, setting off at a jog down the hallway. (Y/n) swept Charmy off the floor and onto her shoulders, hurrying after the crocodile.

"Are you okay?" the bee asked as they ran, patting her head lightly.

"No," she said breathlessly. "I thought I had him. Both Sonic and Shadow were trying to help me, but I couldn't get him out." They took the final turn back to the entrance of the maze, Vector squeezing into the elevator. (Y/n) slowed to a stop, her legs trembling, breath shaky.

"You're...you're not giving up, right?" Charmy asked as the light in the center of the door turned green. She tugged the door open, shaking her head as she stepped inside.

"I can't," she replied. "This will only end if all the Zones are free."

The elevator ride was silent, the door swinging open. Vector was already gone, but she couldn't blame him. "Guide me back," she said. She felt Charmy's nod and he began giving her directions back to their residence.

When they finally arrived, (Y/n) sliding Charmy off her shoulders, Espio was laying on the couch in the living room, shoulder bandaged and eyes closed. Vector was in the kitchen, rinsing his hands of the chameleon's blood.

"I'm sorry," the (a/t) whispered as she approached the crocodile.

"It ain't your fault, kid. We agreed to let you see the bugger, and Espio volunteered to be your wingman. No one here blames you." He stepped away from the sink. "You've got blood all over you." She looked down at herself, her heart skipping a beat at the crimson splotching her body. "It's not yours. It's Silver's."

"I think...I think I need to take a second," she breathed, backing away from the sink. "I'm gonna shower."

"Espio's going to be okay. Believe it or not, this isn't the worst injury he's gotten. But take all the time you need." She nodded, pressing a hand to her mouth and turning to hurry into the bathroom.

Leaning over the toilet, (Y/n) vomited up what little she had in her stomach, pushing her back against the wall once she'd finished and hugging her knees to her chest as she tried to calm her shivering body.

When she'd collected herself enough to stand, she clambered into the shower and scrubbed herself until her limbs ached, letting the water soothe her tense muscles. After she'd been sufficiently soaked, she finally stepped out, dried herself off and dressed, staring at herself in the mirror. She rubbed a hand over the fogged glass, staring at the empty space.

"Please come back," she said softly. "I need you." She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, lowering her head and turning away from the mirror. "The whole world needs us."

~

With Espio resting, Vector decided to leave the rest of the crossings for the day to the checkpoint squadrons. (Y/n) checked the time then alerted the crocodile that she was going to see (F/n).

"Be safe," was all Vector had said.

A refreshing walk later and she arrived in housing quadrant six, approaching her friend's house and knocking lightly. The door swung open almost immediately, (F/n) taking in the (a/t)'s exhausted appearance and ushering her inside.

"What's up," (F/n) asked quietly, sitting (Y/n) down on the couch.

"I'm so tired," the immune said, looking up at her friend. Tears welled up in her eyes and spilled down her cheeks before she could stop them. "I want it to be over, I really do. I want to go back to how things were, when they were peaceful and happy and we didn't have to worry about ghosts or monsters, and-and I didn't have to worry about saving the world. Like, no pressure!

"I've traveled across the Zones with no one but a spirit to guard me and now she's not even here, and I've been doubted and beaten and I feel like no matter how hard I try, I'm not going to be strong enough, or pure enough! I've tried so hard to hang onto that precious thread of hope, but this whole situation is ludicrous! Why? Why did it have to be me?" She sucked in a shuddering breath, swiping at the tears on her face. "Sorry."

"No, get it all out," (F/n) said, grabbing the (a/t)'s hands and settling on the couch beside her. "I get it. This was all thrown on you with hardly any warning. You're doing the best you can, giving it your all. I know it may not count for much, but (Y/n), I am so proud of you. For pushing forward, even when things are tough, for making it this far. You traveled across the Zones by yourself. You've held onto your hope for this long. The world is demanding a lot from you, so it's perfectly reasonable that you're tired." The immune sighed as her friend pulled her into an embrace, closing her eyes. "I'm here for you, okay?"

"Thank you," the (a/t) murmured.

"Anything else you want to talk about while you're here or do you just want to sit?"

"Let's just sit," she breathed. She shifted into a more comfortable position, leaning into her friend. "I need a little bit of peace in my life again."

~

The Freezing Zone...

"How's it coming?"

Tikal lifted her head, blinking at Sonic as the frozen hedgehog lay upside down on his cot, twisting his arm in a disturbing way. She had remained visible to him due to his connection to her charge.

"Quite well," she said. "How are you feeling?"

"Energized. Every time I connect with her, it feels great. I'm guessing it's kind of kind a breath of fresh air, connecting with a pure spirit when I'm...tainted." He rolled upright, resting his head on his fist. Tikal nodded slowly, folding her hands in her lap.

"I miss her," Sonic said after a moment of silence. "I've always wondered what's going to happen when all of this is over. Where she'll go." The orange echidna's eyes softened.

"Sonic," she said gently. His ears perked.

"What? That doesn't sound good. Is she hurt? In danger?"

"No," Tikal said, lifting her hands. She frowned, looking down. Hope was such a fragile thing. She couldn't take it away from him. Not now.

"Then what is it?"

"Perhaps that (Y/n) will be exhausted by the end of her journey," Tikal said, closing her eyes and resting her hands on her knees. "I doubt she's been thinking about it."

"Well...maybe she could stay with my team. She is from the Freezing Zone originally. No pressure, of course! She's probably close with the others, too. Very close..." Tikal cracked one eye open as Sonic fiddled with his fingers.

"I know she cares deeply for you, Sonic," she said, closing her eyes once again. "I saw it in the way she looked at you, the way she interacted with you. I heard it in her voice. No matter what happens, you will always hold a special place in her heart."

A pause. "Thanks, Tikal." He shifted, his chains rattling. "Hey, did you only see her when the whole emergence thing happened? I know you were in the Master Emerald and everything, but..."

"I'm afraid I didn't know her until I was called to her side," Tikal said. "(Y/n) had to remain untouched until her time came."

"So...if I'd known her..." Tikal let out a soft breath, shifting onto her knees and looking up at Sonic.

"You know her now," the echidna said. "Let the peace and joy you've learned from her influence the rest of your life." She pushed herself to her feet, the frozen hedgehog sitting up and staring at her with wide eyes. "Remember Sonic. You are not alone. This is not the end for you."

"Wait, are you leaving?" Tikal smiled, clasping her hands in front of her.

"We will see each other again," she said.

"Bring her back safe!" Sonic called as her form started to fade.

"I will, I promise." Tikal lifted her chin, her words echoing throughout the chamber. "I will guide her home."