Chapter 23- Girls Night

Start from the beginning

I pull two bottles of water from the fridge and hand one to Grace before taking my place back on the counter next to Grace. I don’t know why I was just now noticing but there is definitely something different about her.

“You cut your hair.” I say a bit loudly.

Her once long blonde hair that flowed easily down her back was now at shoulder length with many layers. She was wearing more make up than she normally does but it looked great. She usually for the more plain natural look but not today.

She smiles at my comment and twists a piece of hair around her finger.

“Yeah, today actually. Do you think it’s to short?”

“No, it’s perfect.” I state. “So who’s the guy?”

I’ve known Grace for six years now and she had never changed anything about herself in all that time so something must be up.  She wouldn’t do something without a reason.

“What do you mean?” She asks slightly blushing at my words.

“You met someone didn’t you?” I grin in a teasing gesture.

That’s it. It has to be. It’s the only logical explanation for all of this. Grace likes someone.

“N-no. Of course not.” She stutters.

One of the easiest ways to tell when Grace is nervous is when she stutters. This makes her much easier to read. And why would someone be nervous unless they were hiding something anyway? She’s like an open book.

“Grace and…someone sitting in a tree.” I sing. “K-i-s-s-i-n-g. First-”

“Hey we should call Sarah and have a sleep over.” She says abruptly in attempt to draw the attention from herself and on to something else. “I’ll even send out the invite.”

She takes the phone from her pocket and commences dialing a number without waiting for my reply. Yep something is definitely going on here.

How cute. Grace has a crush. She’s never mentioned a guy before. She was always to shy. Maybe we can get it out of her tonight. Secrets drive me crazy.

She rapidly texts the invite on her phone then slides the phone back into her pocket before speaking to me again. 

“It’s done. Olivia and Sarah both agreed.” She grins.

“Okay, avoid the subject. But know this. We’ll find out eventually.” I warn in a teasing manor.

Without replying she shakes her head and turns up her water for a drink. No doubt the end of this conversation for now.

The smell of pizza quickly begins to feel my nostrils and I take in its heavenly smell. Nothing is better on a cold rainy day than pizza and a movie. Although instead of the normal feel good romances I go for I’m feeling kind of dangerous to night so I think I’ll pick something with a lot of action. Hmm…maybe something with Tom Cruise.

“You look funny when you space out like that.” Grace chuckles.

“Do not.” I defend.

“Yes you do. It’s like watching Dr.Evil coming up with an evil plan. You even do the finger thing and everything.”

That’s when I realize I’m in my thinking position. Chin resting in the palm of my hand with my index finger gripping my chin in contemplation. Although I can see the resemblance, I’m neither bald, short nor use my pinky while getting evil ideas. Not that I get evil ideas or anything. I couldn’t be evil if I tried. Nope, I think the world is safe from my madness.