Chapter six AND seven

Chapter six

***Mr. Bentie’s POV***

I’m really worried. My wife, who I thought was normal, really had mental problems. I didn’t know it, but she was abusing my daughter. Behind my back. For five years.

In some cases, I’m really mad, but really happy that she did that so I could find out and put a stop to it. I just wish I’d found out differently so that Alyssa would not have to live in a wheelchair and memories for the rest of her life.

I’m doing bills in the kitchen. I’m in debt by a lot, and opening more and more envelopes addressed to ‘Bentie, Mason S.’ .  I rip open another, our medical bill. I mutter a word I’d rather not say under my breath right as Alyssa wheels in. I put on the best face I know, to make sure she doesn’t get worried. I know she will if I tell her about our money problems, so I keep quite.

“Hey, honey.” I say in my most cheerful voice. “Pasta’s on in a pot on the stove. Help yourself.”

“Ok, have you eaten yet?” She asks.

“No, sweetie, I’m busy.”

“No, Daddy, I want to eat with you.” I love it when she calls me Daddy. It feels like old times, before all this stuff happened and we were one happy family. I sigh.

“Ok, sweetie,” I say, standing up and stretching my legs. I grab a two bowls, out of the bottom cabinet near the oven. I also grab two forks and knifes and napkins and set the table.

***

After dinner, it’s about six, and I hear a knock on the door.

“Stay here” I say nervously to Alyssa. I’m still so paranoid, even when I know she will never find us here. I open the door and am surprised to see one of Alyssa’s new friend’s, I think her name is Bella.

“ALYSSA! YOUR FRIEND’S HERE!” I yell. Soon enough, she wheels the corner bumps into the wall. Recovering quickly, she comes into the room.

“Maddy!” She cries. Ok, so it’s not bella…

“Well, Maddy, have you eaten?” I ask.

“Yes, sir, I had pizza already.” She replies.

“Ok, well make yourself at home. I will be in the kitchen working,” I say. “You can go to Alyssa’s room for a bit.”

And with that, they walk (and roll) to her room and stay there for a long time, leaving me lots of time to finish doing bills (ugh).

Chapter seven

***Mrs. Bentie’s POV***

I can’t believe I did that! I pushed my daughter, my only daughter, out the windows eight stories high. They took her away from me and pushed me in jail for 15 years.

I’m sitting on the bed writing a letter to Alyssa. They allow letters only if they approve them first, so I better write carefully.

Dearest Alyssa,

I know I pushed you out that window. I know I beat you for five years straight behind your back. But I’m deeply sorry.

I miss you, honey, I miss you every day and every night, every when I’m asleep I miss you.

You are in my dreams. I found you, and tried to tell you I’m sorry, but you didn’t listen. You were perfect in that dream, with white teeth and beautiful blue eyes just like you always have had, and your hair was perfect, it was curled.

You were all perfect, except you had scars and bruises, broken bones and you were in a wheelchair. You would be perfect, but it was my entire fault you weren’t. Well, it IS my entire fault.

I still love you, and I want you to know that. Keep it in your heart. Take it out when you are sad are lonely.

I just hope you still love me.

Lots of love,

Your mother.

PS: Please don’t remember me as the abusive mother you never wanted but always had. Just remember me as the good mother you had for the first eight years of your life. I don’t know what went wrong.