Chapter six

Chapter six

***Mr. Bentie’s POV***

I’m really worried. My wife, who I thought was normal, really had mental problems. I didn’t know it, but she was abusing my daughter. Behind my back. For five years.

In some cases, I’m really mad, but really happy that she did that so I could find out and put a stop to it. I just wish I’d found out differently so that Alyssa would not have to live in a wheelchair and memories for the rest of her life.

I’m doing bills in the kitchen. I’m in debt by a lot, and opening more and more envelopes addressed to ‘Bentie, Mason S.’ .  I rip open another, our medical bill. I mutter a word I’d rather not say under my breath right as Alyssa wheels in. I put on the best face I know, to make sure she doesn’t get worried. I know she will if I tell her about our money problems, so I keep quite.

“Hey, honey.” I say in my most cheerful voice. “Pasta’s on in a pot on the stove. Help yourself.”

“Ok, have you eaten yet?” She asks.

“No, sweetie, I’m busy.”

“No, Daddy, I want to eat with you.” I love it when she calls me Daddy. It feels like old times, before all this stuff happened and we were one happy family. I sigh.

“Ok, sweetie,” I say, standing up and stretching my legs. I grab a two bowls, out of the bottom cabinet near the oven. I also grab two forks and knifes and napkins and set the table.

***

After dinner, it’s about six, and I hear a knock on the door.

“Stay here” I say nervously to Alyssa. I’m still so paranoid, even when I know she will never find us here. I open the door and am surprised to see one of Alyssa’s new friend’s, I think her name is Bella.

“ALYSSA! YOUR FRIEND’S HERE!” I yell. Soon enough, she wheels the corner bumps into the wall. Recovering quickly, she comes into the room.

“Maddy!” She cries. Ok, so it’s not bella…

“Well, Maddy, have you eaten?” I ask.

“Yes, sir, I had pizza already.” She replies.

“Ok, well make yourself at home. I will be in the kitchen working,” I say. “You can go to Alyssa’s room for a bit.”

And with that, they walk (and roll) to her room and stay there for a long time, leaving me lots of time to finish doing bills (ugh).