Chapter 4: Isn't She Lovely

Start from the beginning

"I brought one of my Stevie Wonder cds to school. I thought you might want to borrow it."

"Oh yeah. I would let you borrow a New Kids on the Block one, but they're alway in my room. Like I can't live without them."

He chuckled softly as he nodded to a spot in the distance. "I can get it for you now. It's just in my locker."

"Okay," I blushed, standing beside him as he did the combination lock.

"Here. I'm not in any rush to get it back, just don't want until like Christmas," he lightly chuckled.

"Yeah, I'll get it back to you in at least two weeks or sooner. I know this one! It's the, isn't she lovely, isn't she wonderful one. I've heard it on the radio."

"Yeah, it's a pretty big hit. I'll see you later." He held up his hand for a wave before disappearing, me never feeling happier as I rushed to class.

"So, what do you want to do this weekend? I think it's the last hot one for awhile. The cold weather's coming early this year," Clementine observed.

"We could swim in my pool. My parents haven't put it away yet."

"Okay. That gives me a chance to wear my new swimsuit before next year. I seriously just got it in a big summer clearance sale."

"Yeah, I saw coats in the stores already."

"No way. It's not even winter yet. I mean, we still have fall to get through, which is more like jacket weather," she stated.

"I don't mind though. You know I prefer fall and winter to spring and summer."

"Yeah, we're opposites on that. Oh well, I do like the atmosphere better then. I mean, Halloween and Christmas make it exciting, and the changing leaves are really pretty."

"Yeah, so do you want to come to my house around noon on Saturday? I think it's supposed to get up in the 90s by then."

"That sounds good. Do you want me to bring fast food over or something," she offered.

"That sounds perfect! What about McDonald's? We could get Big Macs with fruit smoothies."

"Oh yeah, the banana and strawberry is so delicious," she emphasized, her eyes rolling to the back of her head just thinking about it.

"Right? And I always give you the pickles off my Big Mac, since I hate them."

"Yeah, I always get double the pickle when I'm with you," she giggled.

"We should play some music on the radio or something too."

"Yeah, do we still have to wear our hair in ponytails? Didn't your parents say our hair clogged the pool last summer?"

"Yeah, but I think your hair's short enough to not have to do that."

We kept going on about our plans, me shyly adjusting my bikini in my bedroom in front of my full length mirror that Saturday. It was canary yellow and went up narrowly in a v-shape at the front of the bottom piece.

"Oooh, you look hot," Clementine teased when she arrived in my yard, causing me to laugh. "Okay, so I thought we could eat all this at the picnic table out back." She had all the McDonald's food in her arms, sporting a neon green bikini that was so cute. She also had a pair of sunglasses with dark red rims. We both ate our food in the shade of the tree, just enjoying the nice weather, since the breeze was decent. Once we stepped into the sunshine though I already felt too hot. It was much better when we got into the pool though, swimming around before lounging on brightly colored inner tubes. "This pool isn't a bad size, but I keep bumping into you," Clementine expressed, pushing herself away with her foot on the side of my inner tube.

"Yeah, it's no cement pool, but it's pretty nice." I looked over towards Leo's house when I smelled smoke, finding him with a cigarette.

"Take your hair down," Clementine whispered near me.

"What?" I looked over at her as she tugged my long strands from the hair tie.

"Now get in the pool and show off."

"I am not doing that," I hissed.

"It will get Leo's attention."

"Okay," I caved, literally dunking beneath the water to come up, pushing my soaked hair back like a model video. I did my best to come across as alluring, never able to do this without Clementine with me. She tended to give me more confidence than when I was alone. "Is he lo-" I stopped talking abruptly when I saw Leo right next to the pool.

"Hey, that looks nice," he spoke.

"Huh?"

"The pool. It looks like it would be refreshing."

"Oh yeah, it's refreshing." I tucked my hair behind my ear as it stuck over my shoulders.

"Well, I'm going to meet up with Tobey. Bye."

"Bye," I echoed, aching for longer conversations. My heart jumped when a familiar song began playing on the radio as I watched Leo walk away.

"Isn't she lovely?

Isn't she wonderful?"

A/N: Hey guys, I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please remember to comment, vote, and follow. Thank you so much! <3