there's a rat

Tessa's POV

I was watching the TV in the kitchen and I heard the door slam open.

"Tessa! Get the money!" Mom yelled.

"Huh?" I asked.

"I need money. Just a couple dollars." She said standing in front of the TV.

"I don't got anything."

She grabbed my face and pulled me closer. "Then go find some." She whispered.

She pushed me back and I stood up as I turned the TV off. I looked in the kitchen cabinets and mom did too.

"Here. Five bucks." I said.

She grinned. "Finally, you're good for something. Next time, don't make this so difficult."

She grabbed her purse and hit me hard across the face with it. I groaned as she stumbled out of the house.

I knew exactly where that five dollars was going, but I didn't have the courage to stop her.

I went back to watching TV for the next few hours as I waited for Dallas. He waltzed in like it was his own house around four.

"Alright. I brought whatever I could find. It's what I'm going with." He said throwing a few suits on the chair next to me and walking right to my fridge.

"I haven't even started looking." I said getting up and turning tbe TV off.

His eyes widened. "What happened to your face!"

"Huh? Oh. My mom hit me with her purse. Don't worry. Makeup will cover it." I said pushing my hair over my cheek.

He rolled his eyes. "I hope to never meet your mom."

"I hope I can get outta here one day."

"We will. Both of us. We'll just go."

I grinned. "Yeah. Soon." I muttered. "I'm gonna go through Kaley's closet. I'll be back."

I went in her room and looked through her drawers and closet.

Nothing.

"What about this dress right here!" Dallas asked coming up behind me and pointing.

"It's too big."

Kaley was a lot taller than me which made it almost impossible to share clothes with her.

"I don't get girls." He muttered.

I laughed. I guess I was probably better off going through moms clothes. I mean, it couldn't hurt.

I went through and found a sage green, knee length dress. It wasn't my first choice, but it would have to do.

"I have no makeup or shoes either. Dallas, next time ask more than a few hours in advanced."

"I didn't know you had nothing." He said putting his hands up in defense.

I rolled my eyes. I had one pair of white flats. I was definitely gonna be the odd girl out, but it was better than some old pair of sneakers.

I found everything I needed to get beforehand and I threw it on the kitchen counter. "Alright. This work?" I asked.

"Are you really asking me for fashion advice? I'm wearing blue jeans and a decent top I found under my bed."

I laughed. "That's fair. I guess this'll have to do."

We hung around for a bit and decided to show up fashionably late. Miss the boring parts of it.

We're all thirteen. Nothing too bad was gonna happen around here tonight. We can miss a half hour.

We kinda stood around awkwardly while everyone was dancing. Then a slow song came on.

"Hey, Teresa. Nice dress. Did you have to steal that too?" Savannah asked.

Savannah is probably the most awful girl I've ever met. Her and her little minions, Diana and Maya are like the three peas in a pod.

A very evil pod.

"Where'd you get those shoes? Looks like you grabbed something out of your moms closet that she wore in the 30's." I said with a fake pouty face.

She just rolled her eyes and walked away.

"Didn't you get that dress from your moms closet?"

"That's different. She doesn't need to know that." We both laughed.

We looked around for a bit and everyone was into the slow dances and the music kept playing more slow songs.

I was sick of it.

Dallas and I were just standing here doing nothing, because we were too uncomfortable to go out there and actually do something.

And I can't dance.

"I'm bored. I've got an idea. Follow me." I mumbled.

We walked to the center of the dance floor and he glared at me with a confused look.

I looked around to make sure nobody was really paying close attention.

I let out a scream. "There's a rat! Oh my God it's next to Savannah!" I yelled immediately running back to the food table.

Girls screams erupted from bits and corners of the room and everyone backed away from the center of the floor and to the sides. I heard Savannah losing her mind, which made it even better.

Dallas and I were toppled over laughing. It's probably the hardest I laughed in a while. A bunch of girls glared at me and the band started to pick back up.

"Alright. I gotta admit, that was pretty good. Now how do ya say we ditch this place and I'll take you somewhere better."

"That sounds great to me." I said with a grin plastered on my face.

Dallas and I walked out of the school into the darkness of the night in our sorta fancy outfits and off to have a better night.

We went to get ice cream at the Dairy Queen down the block and we went back to my place. Kaley was in her room and mom still wasn't home.

Dallas and I just sat on my couch enjoying ourselves.

Let me tell you something about that night.

It may not have been every girls dream. To ruin everyone's mood by saying there's a rat in the floor and then ditching it all, but I thought it was awesome.

I never saw any interest in Dallas until we were both sitting in our best outfits and laughing about what was on the TV without a care in the world about what else was going on.

We're great friends. I know we are. But I'm starting to wonder what'll happen if we become more than friends.