Chapter 3

I turned to him quickly and hated the drag of the dress from slowing me down. 

"You act like you are."

"How else am I supposed to act, it is what everyone expects of me now."

"What is your title?"

"Will it make a difference?"

"Make a difference in what?"

"You allowing me to court you" I shook my head and scrunched my nose down at my dress feeling so helpless wearing it. I walked over to the sofa and sat down, leaning my head back looking up at the stars. "I know my mother would like me to marry as high up as I can but that is not of interest to me, I do not care for title as I should."

I could hear Geralt step closer pausing for a moment and then sitting next to me. He was mere inches from me, and I could feel my palms beginning to sweat, looking up at the stars I thought of his face and the beauty it holds. I bit my lip and turned to look at him, its even worse than I thought. He had his neck on the couch leaning back making his skin peek out more, I could not look away he was even more magnificent than the stars. 

"What kind of training do you do?"

I tilted my head and said, "Combat and archery, how could you tell?"

"Your hands move like that of a fighter, as much as you try to make them lady-like, and your skin is more sun kissed than all the other ladies showing you enjoy the outdoors, I quite like the freckles left by the sun on you." He sat up and leaned toward me staring down at my face, his hair glistened in the moon light. "Why have you not been married off?" I said, trying to change the subject, he pulled his hand up to cup my cheek as he stared at me. 

"I told the emperor that I would marry when I please and who I please, however long that might take. It was apart of our agreement."

"Oh", I had never heard of someone speaking to the emperor this way, he must truly be powerful. 

I wishes that I held power, not for my sake but my family, although we are not poor, we have to work hard for what we have, we have honor from that but sometimes it seems as though we have nothing. My sister wishes to be married to the emperor one day, she wants to have all the riches to shower those how are less fortunate, I wish to give her everything. My father is never home, he travels doing odd jobs, and he is rarely ever home for too long, leaving it all to my mother, she is the most hardworking woman I know, she makes dresses for the ladies in this region, she is one of the best, however the jewels and beads she strings are only able to be there because of the payment, it is why my dress is easy to tell from the other ladies here.

I leaned into Geralt's hand as I thought of my mother, his hands were rough but so warm and gentle. I wished I could just train and become a knight, but my family needs me, I bit my lip harder trying to hold back the tears. I felt his hand take my lip out of my mouth, "You will bleed if you are not careful." I smiled sweetly at him and nodded "Sorry"

"I live on falcon avenue, when should I expect you?" I asked as I stood, I needed to get this dress off and sleep. "Tomorrow", I nodded and as I got to the door I turned back and said, "It was lovely to meet you Geralt, whatever your title may be."

*~*Next day*~*

I gritted my teeth; the sun was beating down causing the sweat to fall into my eyes, burning them. I had just got done with combat, me and my friend Roe sparring, he was very strong, but I was faster, however he always could tell what I was going to do, it made me grit my teeth harder thinking about it. I took a wet towel and wiped my face off, I took a deep breath and was deciding if I should head home or continue training. I shrugged and headed to the archery range area, I called Roe over to help me move the targets, he smiled and said "Ready?"

I pulled my bow up and nodded he turned the wheel to move the targets and I closed my eyes taking a breath before I started to try and hit my targets as fast and accurate as possible. I missed 3, out of 7. I am doing better, but I want to be the best. Angie our trainer is amazing at this especially, she has been practicing for years and it has clearly paid off. I wish she were here to give me pointers, but she had some business today.

I heard the gate to the training ground open and ignored it as I looked at Roe, he seemed like he was proud of me, I smiled and tried to not show my frustration, as I walked over and helped him pluck out the arrows. I could not say how happy I was that these pants could let me move, my mother had heard about me being courted, and had been making me try on and get fitted for dresses before I went to practice. 

I grabbed the last of the arrows and looked at Roe as I did, I saw surprise on his face, and turned toward the source. Geralt stood in black leather training gear, he looked from Roe to me and smirked. "I did not know what time you were going to come see me today." I stated and walked over to the water bowl with the towels, as I glanced back at Roe, I saw him coming up from bowing. I grabbed another soaked rag and wiped down my face and the back of my neck, my hair was up. " I went to your house and talked with your mother, lovely lady, she said you would be here, said you rarely ever leave here."

I smiled and put the towel in the dirty bin and nodded as I smiled "She is quite lovely, sorry for the mess I am right now, if you could wait, I will go clean up and be back in a few minutes, okay?" He nodded and looked around at the facilities as I walked toward the restroom. I put my hair up in a bun and locked the door as I stripped and showered as quickly as I could. 

As I put my clothes back on, I took my hair down and rushed out of the bathroom. As I did, I saw Roe on the floor and Geralt over him smirking, "What are you boys getting up to?" I crossed my arms and smirked, although Roe was on the ground, I knew he could take care of himself. "Just sparring." Geralt said matter of factly. I walked over and helped Roe up, he looked at me saying "You should be careful Aurora, he's quite the fighter." I smiled and grabbed Geralt's arm and pulled him toward the gate. 

As we started walking, I held onto his arms loving how the familiar leather felt. I laid my head on his shoulder as we walked and then looked up, "Where are we headed?", "We are going to get some food." He is so matter of fact.