3: HEARTACHES

Jungkook sat in his home office trying to review a contract with a recent supplier. He went through the document for the fifth time before giving up. He couldn't concentrate at all. He massaged his forehead and stood up taking his glass of whiskey with him to the floor-to-ceiling window. He looked at the city lights and sighed.

Are you okay baby? Have you been eating well? I hope you are safe. My day was shitty. I miss your massages, your company, your giggles, and your cute pout. He sighed again, I'll never give up searching for you till you tell me to. I'm waiting for you, my love. His heart broke again. It had become a routine to talk to Jimin looking at the city, hoping that maybe wherever he was he could feel his pain.

He always wondered where he went wrong after Jimin disappeared. He couldn't believe that Jimin would just leave him. He had searched for him at his parent's home but was told he hadn't been there in a while. He almost went crazy going from place to place and not finding him.

His brother, Seokjin, had intervened and his then-boyfriend had hired a private investigator for him. They didn't let him stay alone for a long while afraid he would do something to himself. He had lost focus but his brother pushed him back on track. His entire family was so understanding.

His phone rang interrupting his thoughts and he walked back to his desk to pick it up.
Eomma.
Son, will you join us for brunch tomorrow? Jin and Joonie will be here too. His mother's honeyed voice said.
I'll be there. He said sitting back down on his chair.
Wonderful. I'll cook your favorite. I love you son.
Thank you eomma. Love you too. He hung up and placed the phone back on the table. He stared into space before deciding to go to bed.

      ***
The next day Jungkook found himself in his parent's mansion waiting for the food to be done. He barely slept the previous night and he felt so tired.
He chatted with his father a bit waiting for his hyungs to arrive.

You look tired. Why don't you take a break son? Jeon Joo-won, his father, told him.
I'm fine dad. I just have a contract that's stressing me out but I'll be fine.
Joo-won was about to speak when Seokjin and Namjoon came into the living room.
Kook, how are you? Jin asked.
He stood up and hugged his hyung and his husband, I'm good. How was your week getaway?
Awesome. Joonie took me to Paris. I got to see some fashion shows.
You've been there a lot of times. Jungkook chuckled.
Not with Joonie. And all those other times were for work. You know the experience with the one you love is different. Jin clamped his mouth when he realized his slip-up. I'm sorry Kook. I didn't mean to...

Jungkook cut him short, I'm happy for you hyung. Don't worry so much about me. I'm just going to get some fresh air for a minute.
Kook... Namjoon called him as he was heading out.
I just need a minute hyung. I promise I'm okay. He rushed out but heard his mother ask if he was okay as he was closing the door. He went to the small flower garden located at the corner of the yard and looked at the beautiful flowers. He remembered the time he had gifted Jimin a trip to Paris on his birthday.

Really Kookie? We are going to Paris? He had asked still not believing it.
Yes, baby. I know you've wanted this for long. So you have two weeks to explore your favorite city.
But what about your work?
Taken care of. I have surbodinates you know.
Thank you so much, Koo. I love you.
Your happiness is my priority, my love.

He felt his cheeks wet and wiped them quickly. He was in pain but he didn't want his family to worry. He put on a fake smile and headed back to the house.
He found them in the dining room waiting. Jin looked at him and he smiled back.
We have some guests joining us. They'll be here in a few. Jeon Ha-rin, their mother said.
They caught up with each other before a maid announced the guests had arrived. It was his mother's best friend, Yang Soo-ah, and a young lady whom he didn't recognize.

You guys remember Jiyoo? She just came back from London last week. Ha-rin said. They greeted her and she bowed back at them.
You've grown so well Jiyoo. Jin complimented her with a smile.
Thank you oppa. She said smiling even brighter. Ha-rin ushered them to their seats and brunch was served. Jungkook chose to eat dakjuk and kimchi fried rice.
He felt eyes on him throughout the meal but ignored it. He didn't want to talk, especially with guests on the table.
The dishes were cleared and coffee and tea were served. He looked at his hyung who shrugged. This had never happened before, so he knew they wanted to tell them something important.

So, we invited you here today for a reason. Ha-rin began. Your father, Soo-ah, and I have been discussing this for a while now. Jungkook took a sip of his coffee not liking it. Jungkook this concerns you. He looked up immediately not liking it already. You've been alone for so long son and we hate seeing you hurting. Jimin has been gone for a long time and I don't think he's coming back.
Eomma can we not do this now?
Until when Jungkookie? It's been four years. If that boy loved you like he claimed he wouldn't have left or would be back already.
Eomma! Jin hissed at Ha-rin.
It's fine hyung. What's your point eomma?
We've arranged your marriage to Jiyoo as soon as possible. You need an heir son, God forbid something happens to you.

Jungkook laughed and stared at his mother and then his silent father. No. He simply said standing up to leave. I will not marry her.
We aren't asking. We've had enough of you mopping around for a boy who never cared for you. Joo-won said.
Jungkook left the house without care. His hyungs tried to call him back but he didn't listen.
Why did his heart hurt when his father said Jimin never cared? Was it true?