Chapter 5

I thought we were never going to leave by how much Nancy was fluffing her hair, putting on layers of lip gloss, and the number of clothes she tried on. I almost fell asleep by the time she was done. Barb finally arrived and we set off for Steve's house. When we were almost there, Nancy had ordered Barb to pull over.

"Why are we pulling over? His house is three blocks away." Barb said as she put the car in park. Nancy looked over at her as she began to take off her sweater covering her actual clothes.

"We can't park in the driveway. What if someone sees?"

"Nancy. Sweetie. I'm not walking three blocks so that no one will see you going to Steve's house." I told her. She looked back at me with a glare.

"How about I just drop you off?" Barb suggested, reaching for the gear.

"No, guys, come on. You guys promised you would go and you guys are coming." She said, looking over at me.

"You know he just wants to get in your pants, right?" I asked emotionless. She looked at me with a shocked look and I shrugged. That was the real reason we were here. And after today, we would see if he is a douche or not.

"No, he doesn't." She chuckled.

"Don't be naive, Nance," I said, shaking my head.

"He invited you to his house. His parents aren't home..." Barb added the incriminating details.

"You're not this stupid." I contributed after seeing her expression.

"Tommy and Carol are going to be there." I rolled my eyes now knowing that those assholes were going to be there and this night was ruined. I slumped back in my seat, groaning.

"Tommy and Carol have been having sex since the seventh grade," Barb informed, making me cringe in disgust.

"It's just going to be a big orgy," I said from my seat. They both looked over at me and chuckled.

"Gross," Nancy said.

"It's what's going to happen," I said, lifting my hands in defense.

"Well, then you guys can be like my guardian. You can make sure I don't get drunk and do something stupid." 

"Sorry, Nance, but if I'm forced to go to a party, I'm not babysitting," I told her up front. I was not going to sit back and watch her like a pet if I was going to be miserable already. After some arguing, she forced us to walk to Steve's. When we got there, I could hear the music, but I didn't hear anyone else or see any flashing lights like a usual party. "Maybe we're early."

Nancy rang the doorbell and Steve opened the door, placing his hand on his hip. He looked at all of us with a smirk. "Hello, ladies."

"I thought this was a party," I stated dumbly as he let us in.

"Yep, and you're just in time." He smiled. I took off my jacket, watching him closely in confusion. Nancy and Barb seemed to be distracted by the large house and he walked over to me, coming close to my ear. "There are drinks in the kitchen."

I quickly made my getaway while he entertained Barb and Nancy. I could see Tommy and Carol outside, messing with each other. I grabbed a can of beer, instantly opening it and drinking large gulps.

"Woah, Delilah. Slow down." Nancy chuckled as she walked in. I looked over at her as she grabbed her beer and began to walk toward the back door. "Maybe you need the babysitter."

"Careful, Nance. I still have a front-row seat." I informed. She laughed before walking outside with Barb. 

I took another long sip of my drink, trying to relax. I was never a good party guest. I didn't like to drink and dance. I didn't like to constantly try to impress anyone. I was going to try to be nice tonight for Nancy's sake, but I didn't want to be here.