Chapter 4

I began to lead the way back to his house. The stranger rode on the back of Mike's bike because it fits two people. As soon as we got there, I pushed them all into the basement and sat the kid down on the couch. I pulled off Steve's soaked jacket, pulled my hair out of the ponytail, and paced back and forth, trying to decide what to do.

The kid looked scared as she watched me. I had no idea what to do or where she came from. I wasn't cut out for this and maybe Hopper was right to tell me to stay back. The others watched me, waiting to see what I would do. I took a deep breath before sitting down on the coffee table to be level with her.

"Is there a number we can call? For your parents." I asked calmly and quietly.

"Where's your hair? Do you have cancer?" Dustin asked. I snapped my head toward him in anger. He backed up.

"Did you run away?" Lucas asked.

"Are you in trouble," Mike asked.

"Is that blood?" Lucas asked again.

"Okay, none of you are helping! Shut up!" I ordered and instantly their mouths shut. "You're freaking her out."

"She's freaking me out!" Lucas defended.

"I bet she's deaf!" Dustin inquired as he marched over to me. He clapped in her face, making her jolt back. I slowly looked over at him when he realized he was deeply mistaken. "Not deaf." I stood up and started toward him, but he backed up.

"That's enough! From all of you." I ordered, looking at the three boys. They looked up at me and nodded. "She's scared and cold. I'm scared and cold."

"Why because Steve's--" Mike began, but he stopped himself, knowing this wasn't the place or time. Thunder crashed, making the girl flinch and cower. 

"Get her something to change into." I snapped my fingers at Mike and he walked over to a clothes basket. I sat back down and gently placed my hand on her. "Hey, it's okay. It can't hurt you." She slowly opened her eyes and looked up at me. I smiled sympathetically at her.

"Here, these are clean," Mike announced, holding out some clothes for her to use. She hesitantly reached for them. She looked confused. She wiped her face as if she was feeling the material. Then she took off the jacket and stood up. To my surprise, she grabbed the bottom of the oversized shirt to take it off.

"Woah, woah, woah!" I said, gripping her hands while the boys cringed and turned away. She looked up at me in curiosity. "You can't change in front of boys." I chuckled. She looked into my eyes and I moved my hands to her upper arms. I looked over and saw the bathroom. "You can change in that little room. It's the bathroom." 

I picked up her clothes and began to lead her over to the room, glaring at the three boys who were acting like babies. She walked into the bathroom and began looking around. I gripped the doorknob with my right and chewed my left thumbnail. I began to push the door, but she gripped it, stopping it before I could shut it. She looked scared.

Maybe she was kidnapped or traumatized. 

"You don't want me to close it?" I questioned.

"No." She spoke quietly. I gave a small smile and nodded.

"Okay. How about we meet in the middle?" I slowly pulled the door so it was cracked rather than fully shut. "Okay?"

"Yes." I nodded.

I walked over toward the cowering boys, hitting each of them on the arms. They winced in pain and I stood over them, crossing my arms. Thunder crashed again as I began my lecture.

"You guys need to grow up or go somewhere else. There might be something wrong with her and we need to call the police." I explained. They looked up at me.