Chapter 18 Enamoured

Start from the beginning

"Appa..." Jeong Eun pouted. "I have a question."

"I suspected as much, little tyke

"I suspected as much, little tyke. What is it? You know you can ask me anything." Hyun Bin encouraged him.

"Mmm, it's just...you remember my friend, Tae Rin, right?"

Ah, of course. They should have known that their bright boy was often stumped by one problem and one alone. While Jeong Eun has already mastered trigonometry equations and algebra at his age, there was one problem that he has yet to master.

The love equation.

As his father, Hyun Bin knew that it was his duty to teach Jeong Eun well so that he would grow up to become a good man someday.

"I remember her, little tyke." Hyun Bin smiled.

"Her birthday is coming soon." Jeong Eun explained.

"Your mother mentioned that, yes."

"Well...I don't know what to get her, appa." Jeong Eun sighed dramatically. "Appa, you've been getting eomma presents for years. What do pretty girls like?"

"Well, what do you know about her?" Hyun Bin prompted.

The father and son lapsed into silence for a minute as Jeong Eun thought hard about his response before he recalled every little bit of information he knew about Tae Rin.

"She likes yellow." He began. "Her favourite princess is Aurora and she likes rabbits. She told me she has a pet rabbit at home called Cinnamon! She was happy when I gave her a bouquet the other day so I think she likes flowers too."

"That's a good start, little tyke. Do you have any idea what she might like based on what you've just told me?"

"I'm lost, appa. Eomma always asks me to pick presents for Eun Ae and Ki Rai and I haven't had any problems with that...I don't know why Tae Rin would be any different. Shouldn't I be able to pick a good present for her too?"

"That's fair, Jeong Eun, but you have to understand that things always appear differently when it comes to your special person." Hyun Bin explained patiently.

"I don't understand..." Jeong Eun scratched his neck again.

"Well, when appa buys gifts for eomma, I spend weeks thinking about what she might like. Even when I do settle on one gift, I find myself fearing the possibility that she might not like it. Do you feel the same?"

"Daebak! How did you know, appa?"

"Let's just say I speak as someone who has gone through what you are going through now." Hyun Bin laughed. "Anyway, what I've learnt over the years is that as long as your gift comes from the heart, you will be fine. Only you know what Tae Rin might like because you have a special place in your heart for her. It's like how appa has a special place in my heart for eomma and all of you."