fourteen.

Henry and I enter my room after walking back. My breath is shaky and uneasy, I am unstable. I want to be okay, I want to be strong. I may have just messed up everything, I may have just planted a bomb within the garden of my life that I'm growing, and it will destroy us all. As we get to my door, Henry opens it and says in a quiet voice, "I don't think I can come around as much for a little while. You know I love you, and I will figure out a plan. Remember that he lies, he manipulates, he is hungry for power. You have more power than he ever will; you need to use it to your advantage." I nod and grab his wrist softly, slightly lifting up his bracelet and pressing down on his tattoo. I mouth an I love you, and I go into my room. He smiles and walks away as I close the door, and I feel the tension rise in me as soon as he leaves. What is Brenner going to do? Will he break our agreement and stop protecting me from being treated like the others? will he put me in the straitjacket again or put me in the padded room? I lay down, feeling exhausted from exerting so much so quickly. I have an uncomfortable and unpeaceful sleep, tossing and turning, filled with dreams of abandonment and the past. I wake up to a quick knock at my door; a familiar one in the worst possible way. As always, it swings open before I can even get out of bed. Papa stares back at me, looking full of power and intimidation. It's hard to grasp that he is the same man that looked so grey and frail just a few hours ago. He wears his usual suit, his hair is perfectly combed. He has his usual look on his face: smug but calm. He doesn't say anything at first, he just observes me. My hair pulled back into a ponytail, my eyes sleepy and full of fear that I cannot mask. I control my feelings and stare back at him, trying to push all of my emotion to the bottom of my body. "We need to talk," he says as he enters my room. I push myself to the inner corner of my bed as he sits on the edge of it, and I nod confidently. "I didn't know you held so much power, and I truly did think you did it on purpose. Even after I told the man you've been working with to go back to his usual duties, he came back against my orders. He insisted that you didn't mean to do it, you were simply overpowered and were too weak. I didn't believe him, until I checked the camera footage and found that he was right. You weren't trying to hold me there purposefully, you were just overwhelmed and weren't given the chance to get me out. I was prepared to come in here and do things that I now regret, but I understand now. I was proud of your improvement, 22, I really do think that he has helped you improve. But now, we need to work harder. Now that you've found your power, you need to extend it. I want you to keep working with him, alright? But I need to see important improvement. You are the most powerful person that is here, and I believe in you. I'm glad you've cooperated this far. I am doing this for your benefit, 22, to be kind to you. I hope you reconsider what you said to me, or else I will have no choice but to show you how easily I can put you in an even worse place. Do you understand?" I blink slowly, I really thought he had forgotten about what I said. How could I be so stupid to think he wouldn't turn this into a threat? Another way to gain power over me? Henry warned me, but he still tried to defend me from him. Remember that he lies, he manipulates, he is hungry for power. I nod slowly and say, "Yes Papa, I'm sorry." He sighs and nods back to me, and then leaves my room quietly. 

Anger boils within me, and my heart yearns for Henry. I need to see him, I need to find him. I need to thank him for believing in me and loving me, for saving me from the man who only knows of evil. I think of how I could ever even consider getting to him, what would I even do? I look at the battered copy of Pride and Prejudice laying beside me, and I find a pen thrown under my bed. I write out a note on the last page of the book in messy, quick handwriting:

You are the best part of my life, and you saved me from the darkness that almost consumed me. Your love has consumed me, ruined me, and pieced me back together again. We are all fools in love. I need to see you soon. - Y/F/Initial

I wait for the night to settle in, and I wait a little longer. The noises of the cleaning crew have faded down far into the facility, and I know they are nowhere near here. The only cameras are in the experimenting rooms and on the outside of the facility. I feel a twinge of nervousness inside of me, but I know that I need to do this. I put on my slippers and grab the books, walking out into the dimly lit hallways of the night. I turn the corner and walk down the rest of the numbered doors until I am staring at a 1 on the door in front of me. I see the dim light of the room on beneath the door, and I make a very risky decision to tap lightly on it. As I knock, I take a few feet back from the door and run behind the corner just in case. But, the door opens quickly and I see him. His hair is messy and his button-up is replaced with his black tee shirt, and he is looking out at the hall. I peek over and he doesn't see me as I duck, and I wish I could go in and see him. It's too high-risk right now, but he needs to know that I'm okay at least. He hesitantly turns back around and into his room, shutting the door slowly. I wait for a few moments and then shove the book through his own doggie door into his room. I pace quickly back into my room and shut the door behind me. As I lay back into bed, I think of ways to get us out of this place. I dream of a normal life together, and I hope that one day we can have it. 

(Authors note - we are slowly approaching the end, you guys. I am so sad but excited to wrap up this story most likely before volume 2 is out on July 1! I am so thankful for all of your support. I love you guys.)