two.

I sit on my creaky bed with my bare feet placed on the cold, white brick wall. I read Little Women and I find myself immersed in the story until there is a quick knock on my door. Before I answer, my door is opened for me, and I find myself staring at Brenner and another man. The man looked a few years older than me, with a tall and limber frame and a gorgeous face. Combed-over blond hair fell around his perfect jawline, and I quickly stopped myself from staring. "22, we will be trying another attempt today. I have thought long and hard about this, as you have resisted all efforts put into place by me. You will be working with him today," the unnamed man was slightly smiling at me, and I found myself feeling bashful in my sweatsuit and sleepy eyes. Brenner continued speaking, "and you will be continuing your work for a long period. I feel like this will be better for you, 22. I feel confused by you." I felt overjoyed, I had hoped he would change his pace rather than let me rot in this room with books at my side. I need something new, and while he may be dangerous, he sure is attractive. He is a breath of fresh air, something other than Brenner, and certainly not as evil. I know it.

Brenner moves out of the way and eventually leaves us alone. While the man (who still has no name) waits for me to get on my shoes and grab my book. I laugh and struggle to put on my shoe and he smiles more. I finally get it on, and we leave the room, walking down the quiet and empty hallway. He looks down at me and puts a reassuring look on his face. "Don't worry, I'm not like him. He won't stop talking about you and how lost he feels. He finally is stumped." He puts his hand on my upper back as we walk, and it makes me feel electric. I have to stop myself from instinctively putting romantic and happy thoughts into his head. I catch myself last second and fight the urge. This is probably just a way to get what he wants. 

We finish walking, reaching a large white room with two large leather chairs. He takes a pad out of his pocket and a pen, taking a seat in one of the chairs after shutting the door. I scan around the room for cameras, but I find none. I put a slight grin on my face, and confidently start speaking. "You seem very kind, but I hope we can make this last. I will tell you everything, show you everything, and would even be willing to let you try to extend my powers. My one condition is that you keep these private conversations between us, and you don't tell Brenner. I am very trusting, and I will be open to you until you make me feel differently." The words spill out one after the next, full of hesitation at the end. I barely know this man, I don't know his name, but I trust him. 

I watch him think for a moment and then begin to speak. "I'm grateful you trust me so quickly; I was prepared to have to work up to that. You seem much more open than what Dr. Brenner told me. He told me you were difficult and resistant. I don't see that. I see something much brighter. I understand why you hold off from him, but you're nothing like what I expected." I smile, and he extends his hand. I extend mine and shake it kindly and firmly. "You can call me Henry, but out there just call me anything else. I'm not really supposed to have a title." I nod, a bit confused. "You can call me Y/N, but out there call me 22. I hate it, but it's what I have to do." He looks at me somberly. "Your name is beautiful, I'm sorry he took that from you." I nod, fidgeting with my fingernails. "I'm sort of grateful he didn't ruin it for me, you know? He is an evil man, and I would never feel the same about my name ever again. He would taint it." He reaches out his hand and takes mine, squeezing it. "Just remember that it won't be like that in here, Y/N. You are an equal, and you are nothing less than I am." His eyes are meaningful and deep, and I can't help melting a little. I look at him reassuringly. "Thank you, Henry. This is the first time I feel human in a very long time." And I mean it. "So," he says, "where should we begin with you?"

(AUTHOR'S NOTE!!!!! - Thank you for so much love and so many views. I hope you're enjoying. Next chapter is gonna be sososososo good!!! So excited for yall to read it. XOXOXOXO, -citrinevinyl)