17: Self-Titled Album

Start from the beginning

"Okay," Kit played along. "Like what?"

"Every good album needs a good break-up song," Mercedes explained matter-of-factly.

"Oh," said Kit. "I mean, there's actually one song that didn't quite make the cut–"

"No," Mercedes cut her off. "Not a reject. Write me a new one"

Kit gaped at Mercedes. She truly was Griffin's daughter.

"I did have this one idea–"

But Mercedes had already moved on to the next point on her agenda. The blonde turned to face her, perfectly manicured eyebrows raised. "So," She eyed Kit suspiciously. "You and James, huh?"

Kit grinned at her. "Uh, yep," she said. "Me and James."

Mercedes seemed unconvinced by this response. The last time the girls saw each other, Mercedes left Kit to fish a sopping wet Logan out of the Palm Woods pool. While her own feelings for the boy lasted only as long as it took for her to meet Guitar Dude, Mercedes had been fairly certain that the same couldn't be said about Kit. It didn't matter that Logan had spent the night entertaining both Mercedes and Camille,  —at the misguided advice of James or otherwise— because it was clear as day just by the way he looked at her that he only truly had eyes for Kit. So, when James and Kit popped up on the celeb news shows, Mercedes had been caught off guard, to say the least.

Despite the unconvincing statement, Mercedes moved swiftly on.

"The album is good. I do have one question, though."

Kit hummed.

"What is 'Speak Now' supposed to be about?"

Kit bit her lower lip. She debated whether to tell Mercedes the truth. Her mind flashed back to the debacle with the princess of Kerplankistan and James's close brush with teenage marriage.

Somehow, despite his friends' and a U.S. diplomat's best efforts, James's tenacity had really outdone itself this time. Svetlana and James were to be wed in the consulate building for Kerplankistan. Neither Kit, the boys, nor Gustavo could make it through the front doors to stop the wedding. If not for help from an unexpected source, James might well have gotten his wish and found himself forced into becoming a prince.

The group made it into the building just in the nick of time.

"Do you, James Diamond, take Svetlana to be you wedded wife?"

The boy gulped. "I, uh-" he glanced over his shoulder. James shuddered as he was greeted with a Kerplankistanian guard with a sword angled at him warningly. His lips curved into a deep frown under the cloth which covered most of his face. He thought of Kit, how he had let her down today, and the prospect of losing her to a marriage he didn't even want.

As if by some miracle, the door swung open. Kit rushed in, her cheeks flushed as the ceremony halted, all eyes turning to her. In the middle of it all, she spoke up. She locked eyes with James. The corners of his lips tilted upwards slightly.

Kit thought on her feet. "Wait!" All eyes stayed on her. Nervously, she smoothed her dress out under her hands. "I, uh, I wrote a song! For the couple"

They were in need of a good distraction. Kit came up with one on the spot, singing an improvised tune:

"I am not the kind of girl who should be rudely barging in on a white veil occasion, but you are not the kind of boy who should be marrying the wrong girl-"

The boys took the opportunity to distract the guards closest to James. Kendall dashed over to grab James by the arm. "Sorry, but we need to borrow James, real quick," he explained. They were gone before the officiant had time to react.