|19|

When Doctor Green came in the following morning, she seemed pleased with the girl.

She wasn't sure why, but the threat that the girl noticed hanging above the woman in the days prior was all but gone.

"What happened?" she asked after swallowing a small pill. She'd started taking it daily twelve days before, but she wasn't sure what it was for...

It was not her place to ask.

"What happened with what, Marlow?"

"You. You were unhappy the last five days. You seem happier now."

"Ah," the doctor nodded, a smile on her face. "I am happier; your vitals have stayed stable. I was worried that your body would react negatively without the regular injections you were getting."

"What was the purpose of the injection?"

She paused at that, eyes flicking to where the Soldat sat. "We aren't completely sure. But we'll make sure that you stay healthy without it, alright?" she asked, her voice returning to its usual height.

The girl realized it was... excitement. She wasn't sure what was so exciting, but this doctor always seemed to be excited.

"Alright."

When Doctor Green slipped from the room the Soldat walked over, pulling her attention.

"I have two options for you," he said. "First, I can give you another book, or, I can put a movie on."

She let out a heavy, frustrated breath. "I do not understand."

"What part?" he asked calmly.

"Why are you giving me options?"

"For you to decide which you want to do—and before you say it, I know you say you don't want stuff, but I was hoping you would start thinkin' about things you enjoy. Like we talked about the other day. The things that make you feel good."

Things that make her feel good.

She wasn't sure she understood what that meant.

"You know the macaroni we had for lunch yesterday?"

"The yellow stuff," she clarified.

"Yah. You enjoy that."

"Oh," she said thoughtfully.

That is what that was?

"Alright."

"So, which do you think you'd enjoy? A book or a movie?"

She felt she knew what a movie was, but she couldn't remember exactly. Maybe she should choose that so she could learn what it was. The Soldat wanted her to learn.

"Movie," she said finally.

The corner of his mouth pulled up slightly and he nodded.

There it was again. His smile.

She thought about it as he brought her to the room across the hall where she'd seen him, Sam, and Steve talking sometimes. Then, she thought about it while she sat at the table, and he tapped on the device she learned was called a tablet.

She thought maybe she enjoyed his smile.

She wasn't sure why; it offered no benefit, but she did all the same.

A moment later, the screen across from her turned on, beginning to play a video.

"I know you—" the Soldat cut himself off, "just let me know if it's too much and I'll turn it off. Okay?"