13 The American Visitor

Superintendent Battle replaced the sheet with the slightly crest-fallen air of a man whose best point has fallen flat. Anthony stood with his hands in his pockets lost in thought.

"So that's what old Lollipop meant when he talked about 'other means,'" he murmured at last.

"I beg your pardon, Mr. Cade?"

"Nothing, superintendent. Forgive my abstraction. You see, I—or rather my friend, Jimmy McGrath, has been very neatly done out of a thousand pounds."

"A thousand pounds is a nice sum of money," said Battle.

"It isn't the thousand pounds so much," said Anthony, "though I agree with you that it's a nice sum of money. It's being done that maddens me. I handed over that manuscript like a little woolly lamb. It hurts, superintendent, indeed it hurts."

The detective said nothing.

"Well, well," said Anthony. "Regrets are vain, and all may not yet be lost. I've only got to get hold of dear old Stylptitch's Reminiscences between now and next Wednesday and all will be gas and gaiters."

"Would you mind coming back to the Council Chamber, Mr. Cade? There's one little thing I want to point out to you."

Back in the Council Chamber, the detective strode over at once to the middle window.

"I've been thinking, Mr. Cade. This particular window is very stiff, very stiff indeed. You might have been mistaken in thinking that it was fastened. It might just have stuck. I'm sure—yes, I'm almost sure, that you were mistaken."

Anthony eyed him keenly.

"And supposing I say that I'm quite sure I was not?"

"Don't you think you could have been?" said Battle, looking at him very steadily.

"Well, to oblige you, superintendent, yes."

Battle smiled in a satisfied fashion.

"You're quick in the uptake, sir. And you'll have no objection to saying so, careless like, at a suitable moment?"

"None whatever. I——"

He paused, as Battle gripped his arm. The superintendent was bent forward, listening.

Enjoining silence on Anthony with a gesture, he tiptoed noiselessly to the door, and flung it suddenly open.

On the threshold stood a tall man with black hair neatly parted in the middle, china blue eyes with a particularly innocent expression, and a large placid face.

"Your pardon, gentlemen," he said in a slow drawling voice with a pronounced transatlantic accent. "But is it permitted to inspect the scene of the crime? I take it that you are both gentlemen from Scotland Yard?"

"I have not that honour," said Anthony. "But this gentleman is Superintendent Battle of Scotland Yard."

"Is that so?" said the American gentleman, with a great appearance of interest. "Pleased to meet you, sir. My name is Hiram P. Fish, of New York City."

"What was it you wanted to see, Mr. Fish?" asked the detective.

The American walked gently into the room, and looked with much interest at the dark patch on the floor.

"I am interested in crime, Mr. Battle. It is one of my hobbies. I have contributed a monograph to one of our weekly periodicals on the subject 'Degeneracy and the Criminal.'"

As he spoke, his eyes went gently round the room, seeming to note everything in it. They rested just a shade longer on the window.

"The body," said Superintendent Battle, stating a self-evident fact, "has been removed."