viii

a/n: the third chapter this week?? yeah. this chapter finishes out the exchange event which means we'll be back to the plot of jjk vol 0 after this. to be honest i don't expect much more than a chapter or two to finish out vol 0 but i'm not quite sure yet.

The next morning, there was a light knock on your door. It woke you up instantly, but Yuta was still exhausted from yesterday and did not stir. Shoving your feet in a pair of slippers, you yawned as you opened the door to let whoever it was in.

Expecting Gojo and preparing to tune out his energy, which was entirely too much for the early hour, you were shocked to alertness by the sight of Noritoshi. You remembered what he had said yesterday all too well, and you had a feeling you knew what he was there to speak to you about.

"Y/N," he greeted, "Perhaps here is not the best place to do it, but I dare say we need to discuss some things."

"If you'll give me a moment, I'll get ready," you said, "We can go on a walk around campus afterwards and speak in a more private manner."

"I'll wait out here," he said, dipping his head respectfully. To return the favor, you got ready in record time — or at least as fast as you could without disturbing Yuta's sleep. He was so peaceful in his rest that you believed it would be a sin to do so.

Noritoshi offered you his arm when you rejoined him; warily, you took it, wondering if it was some sort of trap. But he had never tried to trick you before, and in all honesty, you did not believe villainy to be in his character. So you allowed him to lead you around the campus, your quick, light steps contrasting with his sweeping, languid ones.

"I would not have hurt you nearly as badly as he seemed to believe I would," Noritoshi began. "I hope you know that."

"It was still rude," you teased, but when he did not even smile, you relented. "Yes, I know. I wish he hadn't attacked you the way he did — he will not apologize, so I shall do so in his stead. But your face looks like new, so at least there's that."

"Your father is a gifted healer," he said.

"So I have been told," you said, and there was a heavy, pregnant silence that hung between you two for a second. Finally, Noritoshi cleared his throat.

"He loves you," he said.

"Yes," you said. He already knew; you saw no point in denying it. Yuta wore his emotions on his sleeve, so you were in truth lucky that Noritoshi and Todo were the only ones that knew.

"And you?" he said. You frowned.

"What?" you said.

"Do you feel the same for him?" he said. When you did not respond, he hummed. "I see. I should've known; if not him, it would've been Toge Inumaki or Kinji Hakari or Maki Zenin or someone. What we have is a poor substitute for love, so it's only natural you sought it out in other places."

"What now?" you said. "Our families will annul the engagement as soon as they find out of my infidelity."

"Infidelity? Only of the emotional sort, I presume?" he said.

"We have, er — is it really your business how far I have gone with him?" you said.

"Yes," he said bluntly.

"I suppose it is," you sighed, "We have kissed."

"Then you are right in saying they'd disapprove of the engagement. What's more, you'll probably be ousted from jujutsu society — not even Gojo will be able to save you from that fate. You will be a pariah for crossing the higher ups and the Big Three clans, shunned wherever you go," he said. Your eyes widened before your shoulders sagged.