v

a/n: fun fact i actually started watching jjk for megumi. and look at me now 😩 i mean i still love megumi but unfortunately for him yuta and toge are my number ones ☝🏼

"For what it's worth, I agree with Tullia," Maki said once you had returned to the school. She seemed quite pleased with herself, which was probably compounded by the fact that Yuta apparently had bruises running up and down his arms and legs. It was not that Maki delighted in pain but rather that she felt a training session was not effective unless at least one participant had been pushed to their absolute limits.

"Really?" you said.

"You know how I feel about clan politics," she said, wrinkling her nose.

"That's true," you said.

"I'm going to be the head of the Zenin clan one day, even if they won't have me. I'll kill anyone that gets in my way; maybe you should do the same," she said.

"It'd be an easy victory. My family's mostly comprised of healers — I'm the only one that can fight, so if it came down to it, I'd win against all of them relatively quickly," you said.

"There's no pleasure in that," Maki said.

"Furthermore, what good would it do? Nothing would change just because I'm the head of the L/N clan. The higher ups would still be the higher ups. The fundamental structures of society would not change. My family's power only comes from our abilities to heal; without that, do you think that the higher ups would entertain an entire bloodline that, until me, has done absolutely nothing in the aid of exorcising curses?" you said.

"We can do it together!" she said.

"You'll have to elaborate," you said.

"I take over the Zenin clan and you take over the L/N clan. With your support, the Zenins will be less likely to rebel against me, and I'll have enough power to protect you from the higher ups. I myself will be a higher up, actually, and I'll never ever let anything happen to you," she said.

"It's a nice idea," you said with a smile, leaning forwards to hug her tightly, resting your chin on her shoulder, "But I don't have the constitution for it. I don't need to be the head of my clan; that can be Noritoshi's job. The best I can give you is that I won't let the Kamos stop you — though I myself won't be a higher up, my future husband will be. And I'll never ever let anything happen to you, either."

"I'll become the head of the Zenin clan before your wedding," she promised you, "I will. And then I'll marry you — your parents can hardly complain about that, right? I'll be quite a catch. If we're married, only on paper of course, then you can be free to do whatever you want and be whoever you want to be."

"What did I do to deserve you?" you said.

"That's a good question that I cannot really answer. The best I can offer you is that you were probably a saint in your past life," she said.

"Probably," you agreed, "Thank you, Maki, but you don't have to marry me. I'll find a way to be myself even with the constraints of the life I've been given. I really shouldn't complain; my privilege is so great that any whining just feels gauche."

"Privilege doesn't mean you can't have problems, but if you insist on doing everything yourself, then...that's fine. I can understand it, at least. Still, let me know if you need help or something. And the offer stands; I'll marry you in an instant if you ask," she said.

"Maybe in another universe, I'll be the best healer and you'll be the strongest sorcerer and we'll run jujutsu society together," you said.

"Why can't it be this one?" she argued. You showed her your hands.