"What're you doing—"

"You're intentionally leading us into a storm." Makaela shook her head defiantly. "That's suicide!"

"Under normal circumstances, yes, it would be." Ismael pointed at the Andhis currently tucked away in Karin's satchel. "But with our house's artifact, we should be able to navigate through the storm to find the tower."

Shivering, Han joined the monk at his side. His chapped lips were tinged blue, and all the color had been drained from his face. Makaela was surprised he hadn't gotten frostbite yet. At least, she hoped he hadn't.

"Do you guys even know how to use that thing?" Makaela turned to Karin. "I mean, I saw you fight with it, but do you really know how to use it?"

The silver-haired girl snorted. "Do you know how to use yours?"

"That's...hey, I asked you first."

Makaela folded her arms. Karin had asked a valid question, though. Did she know how to use the Illumio? When Olivier had given it to her, it didn't come with any training sessions. No manual. There were no books or scrolls for her to read. While the ring might have enhanced her already powerful Lightweaving abilities, there had to be more secrets to unlock within that golden gemstone.

But that was irrelevant. If Karin didn't know how to control the Andhis, then their hopes of finding the tower would be reduced to cinders.

"Besides," Karin continued, "how hard can it be? I was able to cast some powerful lightning spells back in the village. I'm sure controlling a storm will be a piece of cake."

Makaela released a breath and watched it cloud in front of her face. "If you say so."

Karin gestured toward the snowy valley ahead. "Can we get moving now?"

"Fine. Let's go." Rolling her eyes, the Lumaian magician trudged forward with her Vayan companions.

#

While Makaela and her group resumed their trek through the mountains, the sun continued its long journey across the sky. They were a few hours away from dusk, meaning they only had a few more hours of safe traveling. Once the shadows arrived, the Shades would be at their strongest. In their current state, Makaela didn't fancy them in a fight against the dark magicians.

But she also didn't want to slow down. They needed to find the tower—and quickly. Every single minute was precious. She wasn't quite sure what was happening to Lumi, but they couldn't afford to waste time getting to her.

Unfortunately, the end of their quest didn't seem anywhere in sight. Their destination was even farther than the bleak horizon lingering beyond the edge of the white haze in the distance. A dense fog squeezed between the mountain range they were passing through, heavy and thick like smoke from an erupting volcano. It choked the air, swallowing the light around them like a bulb covered by an iron lampshade. Makaela could barely see a few feet ahead of her. Had the sun not still been overhead, she would've sworn it was evening.

The four of them shuffled forward, their shoulders brushing as they attempted to stay close to one another. Ismael had the Andhis open again, searching through the miniature clouds for the storm he claimed housed Lumi's tower. She still wasn't sure how she felt about running headfirst into a blizzard, but if it was the only way they could find what they were looking for, then so be it.

Nothing would keep her from finding that tower. Nothing would keep her from her destiny.

As they continued forward, Han slowed to a stop. He pointed a trembling finger up ahead. "Um, what is that?"