Chapter XXXII - Sparxtrike

Start from the beginning

And it was the only edge they had today over the target. The goon they were pursuing was Digitch, and so was their spacecraft. Although Digitex led the galaxy in all things technological, Digitch scientists were not able to get a patent on this trailblazing technology. Probably because of their skewed priorities in research and development these days, Sparxtrike thought.

Sparxtrike was thrown back into her seat as the PFTs crackled, and her starfighter zoomed ahead. She quickly tore through the thick cloud cover and emerged into Zapstromiss outer space.

The satellite colonies skimmed by as she flew through the starry void in pursuit of the Digitch target. Krigzat was racing ahead, his starfighter releasing glowing trails from its thrusters, orange from the regular ones and blue from the PFTs mounted aft.

"Command, this is Blitzkrieg," Krigzat's raspy voice resounded through the comms. "We have no choice. We'd be lucky to get even within long range — we have to take the chance and destroy the Digitch craft using long-range cannons."

"I hear you, Blitzkrieg," came Admiral Lektrus' reply. "Do either of you have other strategies in mind?"

"We cannot destroy that ship," Sparxtrike responded immediately. She was now racing under the base of the majestic Grand Plaza, a pyramidal glass structure glowing in neon colors. Spacecraft swarmed through the multiple entry ports located in several glass panes.

Sparxtrike was careful enough to maintain distance to avoid being sucked in by the gravity generators underneath the megastructure. The Digitch escapee deliberately took a route through mid-space establishments densely packed with tourists and commuters.

"That is not a strategy, Sparky," the Admiral replied.

"We can damage it instead of destroying it," Sparxtrike retorted.

The escapee Digitch craft had abducted Elekzit Oblitz, a prominent Zapstromiss philanthropist. What Digitex wanted to do with such a person was beyond Sparxtrike. Admiral Lektrus believed someone on the inside had assisted the Digitch. She refused to accept their sworn enemy had somehow bypassed security on their own.

Planets Digitex and Zapstrom had had a cold war over technological prowess for centuries. On the one hand, Digitex led in many aspects, including cybernetics, robotics, and the virtual experience — they had invented the Virtual Backpack, after all. On the other, Zapstrom was a force to be reckoned with in the automobiles and crafts industry. And watches, Sparxtrike thought. Zapstromiss watches were famed all across the galaxy.

Sparxtrike struggled to understand where Oblitz fit into this. Nonetheless, he was Zapstromiss, and some Digitch scum meant to take him against his will — and Sparxtrike meant to thwart that.

"You mean like Thunderbolt and Impulse just tried to do?" Krigzat said. "If we even try to hold ourselves back, we will meet the same fate."

Sparxtrike crossed the plaza and rushed between magnificent commercial structures and fuel stations, hovering around her, bearing all kinds of brilliantly lit signs.

"I mean, perhaps they underestimated that Digitch rascal and got reckless," Sparxtrike said, deftly navigating her way between the structures. "We won't repeat that mistake. We just have to fry that craft's—"

"Heads up," Krigzat interrupted. "My sensors are picking up their signatures."

"Do you have visual confirmation?" the Admiral questioned.

"No," Krigzat replied. "He still seems to be a long way off."

"You both better hurry, then, because he will reach Digitex within fifteen minutes," Lektrus commanded. "You must stop them at any cost! Do you hear me? At any cost!"