Chapter 14 - The Malevolence

Start from the beginning

Ahsoka, though, is new to this. She seems to have realized her error almost immediately – Anakin had told her to be quiet right before they entered, to avoid this very situation – but she doesn't backtrack, even if she does take a step back.

"You will learn your place, young one."

She looks stung, hurt and angry at once, not unlike what Anakin himself knows so well.

"Boldly spoken for one so young," the Chancellor remarks, before the conversation can spiral into an argument.

"Excuse my padawan," Anakin interjects, hurriedly. "We will deploy as you have instructed, Masters." He cuts the connection immediately, even if he knows Obi-Wan will likely be getting after them both for it later.

He sighs quietly, turning towards Ahsoka who is already stalking towards the door. "Ahsoka," he tiredly calls after her. He feels like walking dead right now and Force knows why his arm is burning. This hasn't happened for a long time, but it's throbbing, and it often happens after – after he's electrocuted, because electricity is always drawn to his arm, but that hasn't happened in a long while, from what he remembers. "I told you to remain quiet." He knows what Obi-Wan would say, but he won't – he won't follow that. She's already hurt, as it is, but his master is right. It's completely improper for her – or anyone – to backtalk the Council in such a manner.

"If anyone could survive, Master Plo could!" Ahsoka exclaims frustratedly. "I don't understand why..."

"What you don't understand," Anakin replies, with about as much patience as he can find in himself right now – it's not much, but he forces it to the surface anyway, for her. "Is Jedi protocol. I understand you're upset right now, but that is no excuse to disrespect the Council."

"Disrespect?!"

"If you must bring up an objection to orders, first request permission to speak your mind. And –" He shouldn't say this. He shouldn't say it! Why does he want to? "For the record, I agree, but it is not our place to question the Council."

Ahsoka is quiet when they leave for the Twilight – he just finished it and gave it a few practice flights, to ensure it's in good order. "Master, I should tell you why I spoke up before," she says at last, settled in the seat behind Anakin.

"You have nothing to explain, Ahsoka. I understand." He knows. It feels like not that long ago when he was her age, when other Jedi would tell him the same thing. Sometimes his own master. It hadn't made sense to him at first, how they could turn their backs on those in need, if it was "for the greater good".

He'll never forget the times he's been forced to leave mostly destroyed planets to their fate, because the Council ordered him back since the Republic had no further use for them. He didn't understand, and he doesn't even now, but he has to believe. He has to believe that this is good and right, because it's everything he's served for. It's what he dedicated his life to.

He'd struggled with it for so long, but his master had said so, and Obi-Wan would never tell him something that would mislead him. He's not always right though, Anakin knows. It could not possibly have been right to leave his mother behind, because it was what his master told him to do.

They exit hyperspace at the Abregado system to the very, very familiar sight of destroyed ships. A wave of guilt slams into him full force, but he focuses on flying the ship forwards. Fast. Now that he's here again, he does remember – vaguely – the direction Master Plo's escape pod was. Of course, Anakin has no guarantee the Jedi Master is in the same place.

"Artoo, set up the scanner. Modulate for incoming mystery weapons," Ahsoka orders, drearily.

"No. Artoo, tune the scanners for life forms. Highest sensitivity. Hurry, we don't have much time." He knows Master Plo – and truthfully, no one – would never do this for him and Ahsoka. It was one of the first thing he learned as a Jedi, that his life will be thrown away without hesitation if it means the mission. It's fine, too, if it means helping others.