Chapter 14 - The Malevolence

Author's Note: I feel like the altered conversation in here is actually way, way closer to what happened in canon... erg, it's so hard to figure out exactly how Anakin should handle these conversations versus how he probably really did last time. -~-

~ Rivana Rita

Remember how I said that everything wouldn't be the same? Well that starts now. :)

~ Amina Gila

By the Force, he hates this messed up sense of déjà vu more than anything.

Okay, almost everything. Slavers and Seppies' torture rooms are higher.

Ahsoka is back again, hovering at Anakin's side, but it still feels wrong.

It's been a few weeks since his last battle, and Anakin had honestly expected it to be longer. Even so, it was enough time for him to get himself together – finally – and focus on the war. If the war is done, it will give him all the time he needs to train Ahsoka properly. He hasn't had time to talk to the Chancellor yet – aside from when the man briefly warned him to be careful, for the same reason Padme and Rex and Ahsoka did, and Anakin would much rather not think about it – but Anakin wants to talk to him once they finish dealing with the Malevolence.

Ahsoka may have been with Obi-Wan as of late, but it doesn't change Anakin is her master. Obi-Wan is not someone she can have a close emotional connection with, the one Anakin knows she craves for very much, even if she ought not to. Anakin never discouraged it, even if he should have. He doesn't know if he should, though. It felt so, so wrong.

Anakin had warned Master Plo, or at least he'd tried to, before the man had left for the Abregado system. It had been all Anakin was able to offer in advance, even if he has been dropping warnings off here and there whenever he can, if he can. It doesn't feel like enough.

Ventress is down, though. It's one good thing that's come. Even if they haven't been able to get anything out of her, Anakin is still certain it was worth it. Ventress killed many Jedi, and to have her out of the picture is... a good thing, Anakin thinks, even if he knows Dooku will likely replace her with another. Hopefully not Savage, but that would be just his luck.

So, yes. While Anakin knows he did everything he could, it still feels like a personal failure to not have succeeded in saving Plo's fleet. It feels familiar though, this time, to be standing in front of a hologram of the Chancellor, Obi-Wan, Master Yoda and Master Windu. "Tragic are these losses, but prevent more, we must," Yoda declares.

It irks him to hear, but Anakin has long become accustomed to the Jedi's willingness to let one another die if it means helping others. It contrasts drastically with one of the few truths Anakin has always clung to: that everyone must be cared for. Not because of who or what they are, but simply because they're... alive. It's what all Jedi do, isn't it? Even if they never show it.

"All our battle groups will be reassigned to guard our supply convoys, including yours, Skywalker," Master Windu states. "I'm afraid we can't risk any more ships with a rescue mission."

Anakin starts opening his mouth to agree – even though he already intends to go out himself, once his fleet is in position – but Ahsoka suddenly jolts forwards. "Wait!" she protests loudly, with a hint of desperation. "Just because there haven't been any survivors before doesn't mean there won't be any this time!"

"Padawan!" Obi-Wan snaps, making Anakin wince. He knows that tone; his master has used it on him, many, many times in the past, that 'I-am-so-done-with-putting-up-with-your-nonsense' attitude that – that he never, ever would have expected to be used on Ahsoka. Anakin, of course, knows the best way to deal with it. It means he's gotten out of line, and therefore should hastily backtrack and apologize and stay as quiet and invisible as possible until Obi-Wan's calmed down.

By My Sideजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें