62

what are your predictions for d3?

charlie's heart beat out of his chest. unsure whether he was hot from his own flush or the campfire flames flickering in front of him, charlie straightened the sleeves of his jacket. averman collapsed onto the log beside him, a marshmallow shoved onto the end of a random stick he found.

"what's got you hot and bothered, conway?" the boy with glasses teased, nudging charlie's side.

the conway boy shoved lester away, quickly fixing his dishevelled hair. team usa were gathered around a campfire outside their hotel building, celebrating their last night together in los angeles before they returned to their home states. it was bittersweet. charlie loved team usa, even tibbles. he was sad to soon leave the sanctuary of hockey and tutoring under the gleaming sun.

he couldn't stop thinking about their victorious win of the championship. more specifically, he couldn't stop thinking of one player. their agility, their strength, their vigilance. leah banks was bound to turn up any second with adam by her side, and charlie was nervously anticipating the moment she arrived. would the freckles under her eyes stand out against the warm light of the fire, or would they blend in to her rosy cheeks?

russ' knee-slapping laugh broke charlie out of his thoughts. "that's not toasted, that's charred!" russ scolded averman's marshmallow-toasting skills.

"it's soft and sweet on the inside— like me." averman smiled cheekily, earning a playful eye-roll from charlie. he opened his mouth to speak, but the twigs crunching behind him snatched the air from the breath he took. charlie's head whipped around.

"adam!" the team greeted, waving at the cloaked boy. his beanie and gloves signalled that even the warm los angeles winter was too cold for adam's liking.

"hi, everyone. anyone got a spare stick?" the banks boy asked, peeking at the bag of white marshmallows with excitement.

as julie passed adam a long stick, charlie frowned. he couldn't help but feel disappointed that leah banks was yet to arrive. charlie was somewhat relieved from his nerves, but ultimately disheartened she was taking her sweet time. "where's your sister?"

adam shrugged dismissively. "she's still inside, on the phone with our parents. i got bored and left." the boy eagerly stabbed a marshmallow with his stick, smiling as the team laughed at his response.

charlie nodded, glancing back the way adam came. he couldn't stop his eyes from peeking the corner every passing minute, impatiently waiting. averman confusedly followed charlie's gaze, paranoid that someone was secretly watching them from the bushes.

"what are you looking at? you're freaking me out, man." lester trembled.

again, charlie shrugged the boy away, fixing the collar of his shirt. "nothing."

"why do you keep looking over there, then?"

charlie began to roll his eyes, but paused. charlie could never admit he was looking for leah banks.

before he could fabricate an excuse, averman's melted marshmallow dropped onto the dirt floor. "dammit!" he cursed, eliciting a chorus of chuckles and grimaces from the team as he continued to eat the charred mallow.

dean pulled out his beaten walkman, pulling a cd case from his chest pocket and snapping it into the case. though light chatter sang through the team, dean broke it as he began to sing. dumbfounded looks appeared on everyone's faces.

"i've paid my dues, time after time." he spoke solemnly, slapping fulton's back to urge him to join in. 

"i've done my sentence, but committed no crime." the two harmoniously chorused, surprisingly well for their rugged appearance.

the entire team joined in, swaying together as they joyously sang. "and bad mistakes? i've made a few... i've had my share of sand kicked in my face, but i've come through! and we mean to go on and on and on and on!"

a high-pitched yelp escaped luis' mouth as leah pounced onto his shoulders, wrapping her arms around luis and ken. "we are the champions, my friends!"

the team cheered for leah's well-timed appearance, continuing to sing along to queen's song with glee.

charlie muttered the words, but he could barely focus. sat directly across from him, face disappearing and reappearing past the upward licks of the fire, leah banks smiled brightly as she swayed from left to right. charlie was right, her freckles blended right in. he never expected her eyes to reflect the orange light of the fire so glassily.

leah caught his eyes through the fire, and despite the warmth of the fire, charlie froze like ice. russ and averman's shoulders bumped his as they continued to sway. she smiled shyly, eyes glinting, before passionately singing along into ken's ear. charlie just wished he could hear her voice better in the crowd of tone-deaf hockey players. he wished he was sat in ken wu's spot.