The Star-Ranking System Sure Can Be Severe (2)

Imagine this room but more plain and a little dusty, not my image!! Getting into the juicy bits more in this chapter!

Some time passed and the end of the day was already here. The bell rung for the dismissal of all students, who then made their way out of the school and to the student dorms. The group of four walked together as they all (excluding Hotaru) tried to help Mikan feel better about her Star Rank.

"Don't be upset, Mikan." Tobita tried to comfort the girl, but it didn't seem to make her feel any better.

"Yeah I'm sure everything will work out. They don't even know you yet, maybe once they see what a good person you are they'll give you a higher rank?" Hoshika placed her arm over Mikan's shoulder reassuringly, which seemed to give the girl hope. "Yeah, maybe!"

"You guys are right, I shouldn't let it get to me. Being a No Star just means that I don't have a badge." she turned to give them a smile, "It just means I have to work hard to earn my rank!" With the mood being a little brighter, the group continued walking forward when Mikan was suddenly pulled back by the green-haired skank from earlier.

"What do you think you're doing, going home so early, No Star? You have cleaning duty."

"C-cleaning duty?"

Hotaru and Tobita sighed and turned around to continue walking home. "Are you coming Hoshika?" Tobita asked the girl. She looked at the road in front of her and back at Mikan who was being tied to the top of the clock tower so she could wipe it and sighed to herself. I can't keep holding her hand... I mean she does need to start learning herself. I'm sure she'll be okay, right? Hoshika turned back around and followed Hotaru and Tobita.

"Do you think she'll be okay, Hotaru?"

"I think she'll be Mikan. Fighting her way through anything and everything."

"Yeah... you know I just worry about her sometimes, she's so reckless." Hoshika kicked a stray rock as she passed it and the three students continued walking down the path.

The trio made their ways back to the dormitory where Tobita explained to her further the Star ranks. "Essentially, every rank has their own room and luxuries specific to that rank, for example after school Triples don't have to stay and do cleaning duties but Doubles and below have to. Each Star gets different quality food, toiletries, money, and the way our rooms are designed. Basically anything you can think of is different for each rank."

"Wow, so you guys are living life at the top right now..." her hands went up to run her fingers through her hair, a habit she started after Natsume burned it off, "I hope I get a good rank..."

"Speaking of ranks!" Narumi approached the group from behind, spooking the young girl.

"Don't do that!" she exclaimed, clutching her chest in fright. Her teacher lightly laughed before continuing speaking, walking alongside the group.

"The teachers and I have discussed your ranking, Hoshika-chan, and we've decided that it's too early to put you into a rank. Seeing as we haven't seen much of your character, so for now, you'll be on the third floor where we have our undecided ranks, which is extremely rare, you're the first one in years!" The man smiled down at the girl who held a confused face.

"But what about money and any other expenses?" Hoshika questioned. Why did this seem so easy for her but so hard for Mikan?

"All of that will be taken care of for now, so don't worry your little head."

"What? I don't really understand."

Narumi placed a slender hand on top of the girl's head, his closed-eyed smile suggested that he knew more than he was letting on, "I told you, don't worry even a little bit, it's all taken care of." he guided her into the dormitory and to the first floor hallway before gesturing to a bright pink robot, "This is the dorm mother, Takahashi, she'll show you to your room."